Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I (my family) has done well with LeggMason's value trust and special inv. Last year the gains were in the 45% range but the last three months were in the tenths of a percent range, last week diminished most people's. Real depressing :puke: ! But, those funds include amazon, fannie mae and nextel. I believe that nextel will be having a good quarter because the FCC just changed their airwaves from police/fire to commercial or public ?(whatever it is called)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
LM Value Trust did well by my wife too.
Both of these funds are in my IRAs:
For me, it's been Fidelity Select Electronics (FSELX), but that's a sector fund and so is very volatile.
A couple years ago, I bought into Royce Opportunity Trust (RYPNX) as a way to invest in micro- to small-cap companies--uhm, I just saw that it's now closed, but you can get around under certain circumstances or invest in a similar fund.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
OneGuyInCA said:
Anyone here can recommend a good mutual fund to invest in that you've had double digit pecentage gains consistently over the last 3 months?
last 3 months??? that can't be hard to find...it's been a rising market except for the last couple weeks. shouldn't you be looking for gains in the last x years to gauge where your money is going, or is this just short-term money making you're looking for?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Medrosje said:
OneGuyInCA said:
Anyone here can recommend a good mutual fund to invest in that you've had double digit pecentage gains consistently over the last 3 months?
last 3 months??? that can't be hard to find...it's been a rising market except for the last couple weeks. shouldn't you be looking for gains in the last x years to gauge where your money is going, or is this just short-term money making you're looking for?
This is play money... for short term investments, aside from my long-term steady growth investments.

Something volatile, higher risk, with a chance for a higher short term gain. So many to choose from. :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would look into Tyco, Sanofi (this pharm company has great potential for the upcoming months), a chip company or find some company that is getting heavily involved with Fatkins :weirdo:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
OneGuyInCA said:
Buying in after three months of double-digit gains is virtually guaranteeing you will lose your shirt... the fund is likely overvalued and has limited additional growth potential.

How about buying into somthing that is (1) just starting out and ready to *grow*, or (2) has recently taken a hit and is currently under-*valued* by the market.

Peter Lynch (Fidelity) once said that 99% of investors lose their shirt when trying to time the market...

You don't have to think short term just because it's "Play Money". Also, IMHO the fact that you call it "Play Money" indicates that you are expecting to lose it, and likely will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts