1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Of course, they forgot to mention that the Lambo was 20 laps up on the Civic when it retired with mechanical problems. Oh, and...

Honda Malaysia invested in a special refuelling system for their MME Civic, the same type of system used in JGTC cars (the system was submitted to the FIA and the MME organisers for approval before usage). As a result, through a combination of superior fuel economy and the refuelling system, HMRT's pit-stops were blindingly fast. In one pit-stop that I timed crudely using a stop-watch, re-fuelling time took less than 18 seconds from the time the car rolled to a stop into its pit-box to the time the refueller pulled the rig out of the car. For that stop, only the front tyres needed to be changed and the whole stop required roughly 1 min 09 seconds from the time the car stopped at its box to the time it gets out. Later stops which required all 4 tyres to be changed clocked at between 1min 30sec to 1min 50sec. By contrast, I watched the No 12 Lotus Exige being refuelled (one of the leading competitors the HMRT Civics had to fight against during the race) and its refuelling alone using a fuel bottle took more than 2 min !! The other leading competitor, the no 19 Porsche 911 GT3 pitted way at the end of the pit-lane and rough estimation of its pit-stop puts it at more than 3 min. So it can be seen that the HMRT Civics gains between 1 to 2min for each pit-stop. And at 75 mins max each stint, the 12 hours endurance format meant that each car must stop at least 10 times or the HMRT Civics gained around 20 minutes for the whole race. Lap times for almost all the cars were hovering around the 2 min 30 - 40 sec range and this means from pit-stops alone, the HMRT Civics gained several laps !
So they won by being the only team throwing so much money at it :poke:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mac: true, but really, how hard is it do adopt one of those giant NASCAR tanks for filling? And pneumatic impact wrench (or even electric) + anti-cross threading studs isn't that hard either. Its more an effort issue than a cost issue. If they're lapping at a couple seconds faster a lap, you've gotta find some way to edge your competition, and apparently they've done their research.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Right.. because heaven forbid those uppity japs try to undermine the divine greatness of the German brands by making claims that they have better performance!

p.s., the Legacy GT is quicker than the Boxster

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Macabre said:
Right.. because heaven forbid those uppity japs try to undermine the divine greatness of the German brands by making claims that they have better performance!

Unfortunately, Legacy GT/Forester XT/WRX STi are not better cars than a Boxster, even in 2.7 form except for Subaru ads and fanboys. :suspicio:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're skewing their words and extrapolating from what used to be pure fact. :poke:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
DenimA4CVT said:
Unfortunately, Legacy GT/Forester XT/WRX STi are not better cars than a Boxster, even in 2.7 form except for Subaru ads and fanboys. :suspicio:
Oh. Well, I define better in terms of interior volume. Therefore, indeed, the Legacy GT, Forester XT, Subaru Impreza WRX [ STI], are BETTER than the Porsche Boxster. The Legacy and Forester are much, much better. So take that, captain arbitrary.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
DenimA4CVT said:
Macabre said:

Just to chime-in, I own an '04 boxster and an '05 WRX STi and they are both great cars. On flat-out performance, I'd take my STi anytime. For long distance touring and cruising around town, the boxster is the way to go. It is just so much more comfortable for everyday driving not to mention the good looks when it is topless. I love the sound of both boxer engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.