Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this may be a long shot, but I figured I would try here, too, as I trust advice here more than most places. This is my wife's car, and she posted the question on newbeetle.org, as well. This is taken directly from her post:

A couple weeks ago, I ran some errands in my beetle (Louise's specs: 2.0L 5 speed manual, 2000, 49K miles). When I got in my car to leave, I turned the ignition switch over, but it didn't catch. So, I promptly tried again with success. I drove to my destination and after getting my shtuff, I pulled out of the parking space to notice that Louise was revving. I had my foot on the brake; the revs were between 2-4K rpms--back and forth, up and down. I turned it off, then couldn't get it restarted. After letting her sit for awhile, we got it restarted. No cel (which has come on 2x in the last month--my mechanic said he had to reset the codes--nothing that should have set the cel light off. Sorry, I don't have the codes!). About a week later, I had the exact same experience, except I let the car rev to see what would happen. It eventually remained at a normal idle, so I drove away. A couple of days later my cel came on. Thus, Louise is in the shop again. My mechanic (Andre) said that multiple codes all indicated that there is a short somewhere and he'll figure it out in the next couple of days.

:???: Basically, my questions are:
1. Have any of you experienced this problem or heard of it? Is there one place that can short that can cause multiple codes?
2. How did you fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, my sister had a similar problem to this one. You don't say what year it is, but I know for a fact that early (98-99's) Bugs had a problem with the main vehicle ground coming detached or corroded. They should check that first.

Since they have fixed the ground in my Sisters Bug...she has had zero problems/codes. Believe me that is saying a lot. It used to CEL all the time and shut down completely. Once it happened on the freeway!

Good luck.

Edit: Sorry you said it was a 2000. Still might be the problem...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, the saga continues.

In short, our mechanic pulled out Kim's aftermarket radio (Kenwood Sirius receiver) and couldn't determine exactly what the cause was for the multiple short-to-grounds. He drove it for several days without the radio and, lo and behold, no CEL. We have driven it for about a total of 200+ miles with no CEL. We did some searching, found the K-line issue, and I think that is now resolved. Well, we put the radio back in, and within 15 minutes of driving around, the CEL comes on again. :(

We took it to Autozone to get it read, and here are the codes that it came up with:

P1255 Fuel-air meter is what it said on the reader, looking at the code table - Engine Coolant Temp.Circ Short to Ground. I don't know if I might have written down the number wrong?

P0172 - Running too rich

Is the radio still potentially causing this, or is it mere coincidence? What do I need to do to fix these on a NB?

Thanks so much for all of your help. You people ROCK!!!

Chris

ps - if there is more info that you need, let me know.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
If you had a pile of short-to-ground codes, your fuel pump relay is bad/outdated and should be replaced with the newest version. The one you have now probably has a part number ending in B, and you want a C.

P1255=Bad coolant temp sensor. Replace sensor. The one you have is black, and now you want a green one. Don't question it, just do it.

P0172=PROBABLY your MAF, but it is pretty rare to see one throw rich codes; they usually throw lean codes. Might want to have someone really look at this.

The MAF will be a warranty item due to them sucking to begin with. The warranty on the MAF at the moment is 7/70, regardless of anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.