Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Multiple codes after head work

768 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sped 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Passat Wagon 1.8 with 173K, I bought the car for $600.00 because it did not run. The owner said it overheated. After I got the head redone and installed I started it and white smoke bellowed out of the tailpipe. After about 5 minutes it stopped and the engine ran fine. The next day I start getting codes and after resetting them they re-appeared. I am thinking the smoke (steam) affected the O2 sensor but not knowing allot about European cars I am not so sure.
Here are the codes:
PO300
PO301
PO302
PO303
PO304
PO171
PO507
I also got notice from the "Monitors" (?)
Calalyst
Evap
Sec Air
Misfire
Fuel
Comp
O2 Sensor
O2 Htr
Thank you fro any help!

Regards,
Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
The P0300-304 are misfire codes. P0300 is a general catch all random misfire, while the others are specific to a cylinder. P0301 is cylinder #1, 302 cylinder #2, etc.

Taken in conjunction with P0507 (idle control system RPM, higher than expected) could mean a vacuum leak.

171 is indication of running too lean or too rich. There are specific subcodes for each.

The Ross-tech wiki has a good explanation of the codes, as well as possible corrective actions.

Sent from the 7th Galaxy.

#4 ·
I will check out the vac lines when I get back in town (about 2 weeks) I also checked the battery, it shows 12.34v. I had a low battery in a Mercedes and that gave problem codes. Your ideas about a vacuum leak make allot of sense.
THX
Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.