Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange thing happen Sunday night. Took a short 4-5 mile drive, and at some point the red in dash display went completely dark. I noticed this when pulling into a parking space. Turned the lights off and on, no effect. Turned the car off and on, working fine.

No real indication of what happened. Anyone else have a similar experience and/or an explanation?

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
396 Posts
x2 - gremlins in the software during startup.

Happens more during a cold day. Also, the mpg went to kilometer / liter once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MFD dead?

Mine just went on my 2004 sedan. Seems to stay that way after multiple restarts. In the dark, I can see that the red LED's (where trip computer, temp, etc are displayed) are slightly illuminated - just not displaying any data or info.

Anybody else have this happen? How to fix? Will check the fuses but, everything else in gauge cluster is working and LED's are getting "juice"

·
Registered
797 Posts
Shit..... This happend to me about 2 weeks ago 2004 1.8t5spd. 1st thing that I saw was all the information in the display was blinking on and off for about 15 minutes. 10 minutes later stopped blinking. 3 days later the trip computed, mins, gas milegae wouldn't register anything but 0. I did seraching and could find anything. I just removed the negative battery terminal for a few seconds. When I put it back on it seems to work ok.
The 2 days ago everything started acting crazy again. It's still registering information though? Everyone keep an eye out and post. Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Search around on the forum using "MFA". You will find many issues but very few solutions. The best chance of fixing it is a poor connection to your CCM. If that does not fix it, your display is probably dead or dying. I have a new instrument cluster on the way to replace mine.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
The CCM has nothing to do with that display... But in at least some of your cases, it's likely to be an faulty connection between the cluster and the various sensors under the hood...

·
Registered
133 Posts
The CCM has nothing to do with that display... But in at least some of your cases, it's likely to be an faulty connection between the cluster and the various sensors under the hood...
I don't have any knowledge of this myself, but was just repeating what I have read on different threads. Any likely suspects for the faulty connections under the hood? What connections could be checked to see if it was the problem?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Yeah, that info is passsed/ shared between the ECU and the cluster. If yours in completely dead, then the issue is likely either the wiring between those points, or the cluster itself.

If you still have temp readings, but no mileage related info, then it could be related to one of the speed sensors...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts