Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally like the $20k ish regular Si, but i find it difficult to justify given the $30k pricetag of this model. the only functional mod is additional suspension tuning (the Si is good enough imo), and some exhaust prob without any substantial gains. Aesthetically, Mugen usually does things more subtle, and does it well. unfortunately but this comes across as a bit unrefined imo. not a fan of 18" wheels either (too big), much less on a civic. what do you guys think?

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/index.asp?ModelStart=civic+si+mugen

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I personally like the look of new Civics and Si's. If they weren't so small I'd consider one. Only thing that bums me out about the Si's is 197hp and only 139ftlb of torque.

I think the premium price on the Mugen is too much for suspension and body work alone.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Mugen tuners have been sitting too close to thier exhaust pipes again....30k for that!?!?!?! hahaha..."i see purple elephants!"

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I personally like the look of new Civics and Si's. If they weren't so small I'd consider one. Only thing that bums me out about the Si's is 197hp and only 139ftlb of torque.

I think the premium price on the Mugen is too much for suspension and body work alone.
I like the new coupes as stock, I don't like the civic sedans especially the Mugen.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
It really doesn't offer that much over the $21k MSRP for the Si.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
I'd rather by a Mazada speed3 with $30k than that thing...AND I'd have money left over.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It really doesn't offer that much over the $21k MSRP for the Si.

what it does offer are the super-ripoff high priced JDM parts! have you seen what Mugen charges for their bodykits, seats, accessories, and other stufff? Its pretty outrageous! I would not be suprised that if you purchased the fancy Mugen parts separately, it would end up costing the same (if not more) than what we have here.

I think it would have been a more respectable approach would have been for more Mugen performance parts, and less a less flashy exterior bits.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I don't think anyone's praising them for the price point.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$20k ish?
A year ago when the Si first hit the dealers, I couldn't find one for less than $25k. msrp was about $20k, but every dealer was adding a $5k "market value adjustment." Out the door was $27k.
im pretty sure you can find something reasonably priced by now (the hype should have cooled down somewhat). but yeah, but buying $27k for an Si is absurd. If you can afford only a 20k car, its makes no sense at that you're not willing to wait a few months to save yourself 25%. Now if you were rich and were buying $200k exotic, i could totally understand how you would not care about markups.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts