Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to put on a titanium dual tip muffler and I was wondering once it's put on, will it have that deep rubbling sound or will it still sound basically the same. If not what will I have to do to get that deep racing sound without hurting my Passat??
Any help will be appreciated :bowdown:

·
Registered
613 Posts
remove the suitcase resonator with either a glass pack or just a regualar peice of exhuast tubing. then add the muffler if the new added noise isnt enough.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your quick responses. I thought about removing the resonator but I believe that it would be extremely loud. I just want that sporty racing sound when accelerating....if I can get that with resonator still attached. I don't want to sound like those Honda Accords and Civics sounding like loud lawnmowers with no power behind it.

P.S.---If I did want to purchase a glass pack, how much would it be and where to get it?
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Glasspack should be easy to find at any parts store/ muffler shop.
The resonator would have to be cut out, and the muffler welded in.
No idea on the cost of either, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Thank you all for your quick responses. I thought about removing the resonator but I believe that it would be extremely loud. I just want that sporty racing sound when accelerating....if I can get that with resonator still attached. I don't want to sound like those Honda Accords and Civics sounding like loud lawnmowers with no power behind it.

P.S.---If I did want to purchase a glass pack, how much would it be and where to get it?
Thanks again
I think the muffler route would be louder, compared to leaving the stock muffler and putting on a glasspack.. anyways glasspacks are around $20 at summit racing.com

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the responses.....Friday will be the day that I'll take the car in. I think I'll just put the muffler on and leave the resonator on and I'll see how it sounds.

·
Registered
537 Posts
my muffler shop did not recommend putting on a glass pack as their lining wears out over time and it will change its tone and loudness as it gets older. They recommened a short stainless steel resonator that would last the life of the car and not change its tone or loudness.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Muffler ?

After much investigation on this site I recently decided to do an exhust upgrade. I had the suitcase resonator removed and simply replaced with a straight pipe. I have a 99 1.8T w/5-spd, and it required the shop to replace it with a short section of custom bent pipe and and hanger. I paid $90 for the work, and I am very happy with the outcome and the sound. Just a touch loader and deeper, and no bothersome drone at any speed as many people have questioned. In the future I may replace the stock muffler, but with the car still being a multipurpose family car I don't want it too loud....yet. This is a good, inexpensive upgrade that I recommend. If you couple this with a K&N, and a diverter valve upgrade, you will have spent little and the car will feel and sound good.

PJP

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a good idea PJP. So you think if I remove the resonater and have my dual tip muffler put on, it won't be too loud??

·
Registered
351 Posts
yes, the same applies to the v6(done on mine with a 15in. mini glass pack)

it will not affect the emmissions test at all. anything after the secondary o2 sensors will not affect the emmissions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would not suggest straight pipe on the V6. I did that to mine, and it had a horrible drone. Went back the next day with a 22" Glasspack, and now it sounds great. No new muffler yet. Damn budget!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Muffler

Hello everybody....well I got my dual tip muffler put on without removing the resonator. It has a low humming sound when accelerating but it doesn't quite have that growl I'm looking for. So I guess removing the resonator and putting in a 22" glasspack may give me the sound I'm looking for. :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts