Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my KW V2 coilovers almost a year ago and I haven't had time to adjust them at all. Prior to the KWs I was running Bilstein Sports/Neuspeed Sports with a stock front sway and a Neuspeed 28mm adjustable rear bar. In reality I have probably put about 3K miles on the coilovers so adjusting them hasn't been a priority.

My initial setup was with the front dampers set at 45% and the rears at 65%. These settings were recommended to by someone on the Vortex with a GTI. Of course the Passat is very different and these settings did not work very well. When driving over a large dip in the freeway the rear of the car would settle faster than the front causing the front end to "float". It reminded me of driving my Lincoln Town Car.

The rear of the car also felt like it had a really high spring rate compared to the front. This issue was probably caused by a problem with the rear sway bar.

OK so I finally had a little time to make adjustments to the car. Since the front end is a lot more complicated to deal with I decided to start with the rear. I disassembled the rear shocks and set them to 50%. After dropping the car down I was reinstalling the sway bar and noticed I must have been running some preload. With the car sitting level on the ground the drop links on the rear sway bar didn't line up anymore like they did with the car in the air. From what I understand this preload effectively adds spring rate to the rear of the car.

After making these adjustments the ride is much more smooth and controlled. The front suspension still needs to be tightened up but these few adjustments were a major improvement. When I do the front suspension I might check the stock front sway bar for any preload as well.

The ride height of my car is even all around, about a 2 finger gap front and rear. Hopefully some day I'll be able to get the car corner balanced.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Cool. :cool:

I have scales at work, if I had coilovers I could corner-balance... :)

You've got this killer car with no time to tinker on it... ;)

I haven't seen you post this much in two years - has the new tech forum inspired you? :beer:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually just got based back in Salt Lake, so I'll be around more often. The car won't be out there much any more though.

Rusty- Yeah I just had a bunch of stuff saved up to post! I haven't had much time to do much of anything lately. Hopefully I'll be able to make more time for the car now that things are calming down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts