Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - ive got the 1.8t, and the mpg is leaving a little to be desired.

Ive recently put £40 in, and for that, i am getting a rather embarrassing 155 miles - surely thats wrong.
I am not expecting inler-galactic mpg, but 155 to 40 quid is pretty grim.

Is this the norm for this engine?

I have done the oil and air filter recently.

What could i do to improve it..?

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
without going into equivalents, I consistently got 19-city and 29-highway in winter. In summer that would rise to 21 and 31, respectively.

tire pressure correct? alignment ok? any mods? heavy foot? ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a standard car. Since the last fill-up of £40, ive made a conscious effort to drive sensibly - and i have.

I know these cars have poor mpg but im trying to squeeze a little more out as £40 for 155 miles aint good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 1.8t tiptronic car gets 22mpg 100% city driving. I just installed a APR tunes ECM so I'll be interested to see how MPG is affected. You really can't tell what the MPG is unless you fill the car and then drive and refill. My car does around 270 miles from full until the low fuel light comes on. So if you compute the MPG to the size of the tank, I have around 4 gallons of fuel in reserve when the light comes on.

40 quid fills the tank? how much fuel is that? if you are only going 155 miles on a tank there is something wrong some where. Could even be a faulty sender telling you you are empty early.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I drive like an asshole so my MPG is always crap, I usually get maybe 18mpg city if I'm lucky, and in recent long distance highway driving 25 (mostly because I'm nearing 80mph). With good, clean driving, I can pull the city mpg up to 20 if I'm real lucky and manage to hit mostly greens. (Most of the time I find I'm sitting at a red light while there is no one else at the intersection, hooray for intelligent traffic signals :banghead: )

However, I recently also went in search of some extra MPG, so I pumped up my 225/40 R18's from 27.5 to 40psi and definately found at least 3-4 extra mpg.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,475 Posts
MPG threads are like oil threads....too many.

Bump an old one. Don't create a new one. Since you are asking about a problem you MAY have, I will keep it open. Agreed though 40 quid can't possibly fill the tank.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
You really can't tell what the MPG is unless you fill the car and then drive and refill.
Does your MFD not work? My avg display is spot on.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,135 Posts
golfpaul, if you want useful information, you have to give a little. Miles per currency unit isn't terribly useful - too many conversions, and few people here will know what your fuel price is. Try providing not only engine but transmission, body style, and drivetrain - a 4Motion wagon will be different from a FWD sedan. Then figure out MPG (or per liter). Rather than using the MFD, if any, calculate thus: Fill the tank, drive a while, then fill again. Divide miles driven by gallons or liters used.

It does sound, very roughly, as though you're getting lowish mileage - but we don't really know.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,451 Posts
These cars do not deliver outstanding fuel economy -- they are too heavy for that and have no gimmicks, such as a diesel engine, a hybrid electric power train, or even a 6-speed transmission with a super-high cruising gear. The best I can do with a 1.8T and tiptronic in a front-drive wagon is 30-32 miles/gallon on the open road at 65mph. Cold cycle short trip stop-and-go in the city is about half that. I expect most folks average somewhere in between.

Yes, please leave the price of fuel out of the equation -- stick w/ liters/km consumption or mi/gal economy, for which the unit conversions are trivial, using 1.61 km = 1 mi and 3.71 liters = 1 gal.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't get why everyone says the mpg in these cars suck. I my last 3 fill ups were 27.2, 28.8 and 27.5 (all combined but a bit more highway than usually on the second fill) for a car I actually enjoy driving I say that's not bad. These cars won't get Prius numbers but there also more fun to drive

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
971 Posts
Its not that the mpg sucks. Its just not spectacular. Most cars of the same vintage did no better though. Most current models do much better as companies have been tripping over themselves to offer better mileage. Just about every new car has a 6+ speed tranny, is direct injected, turbocharged, or offered with a hybrid drive or whatever else they can think of to sip fuel. Even the new 3 series or 5 series get like 23/33 city/highway. The market wasn't really demanding that kind of across-the-whole-model-range attention to fuel economy 10 years ago. I also get right around 26-28 mpg on a tankfull with a mix of driving, which I don't think is that bad.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Most cars of the same vintage did no better though.
This is key. When the b5 came out, the rated 21/31 mpg was quite good for this size class and power. A 5 speed auto was unique in a market full of 3 and 4 speeds.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
OK - ive got the 1.8t, and the mpg is leaving a little to be desired.

Ive recently put £40 in, and for that, i am getting a rather embarrassing 155 miles - surely thats wrong.
Yeah, but you're miles are British miles so that should be ok :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've averaged 28.9 mpg with a good combo of city/highway driving in and around LA for many thousands of miles in my 03 1.8T manual. I agree with nkausch that this is relatively good mileage for a car that's fun to drive! My '13 TDI gets significantly better mileage but lacks the fun factor...

·
Registered
51 Posts
i get 330 miles per tank costco premium gas ( oh you fancy huh) but that like running on fumes and dirtying up my fuel filter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts