Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a prospective B5.5 Variant buyer, I'm wondering what kind of milage(s) I should expect from a V6 equipped 4Motion wagon. I'd most likely be doing mixed (H/C) driving but primarily highway commuting.

Although I'm not oppossed to a 1.8T or TDI, I'm not sure if heated leather seats and Auto/Tip/4Mo transmission are available on those two models and those two options are for all intent and purpose mandatory.

For anyone who hasn't read my intro, I'm considering replacing my beloved gas guzzeling 5.9 liter SUV (aka a Dodge Durango) with a Variant and I'm having a hard time "pulling the trigger". Figure if I get focused on the $/gal savings between the two (it's been costing me $48 +/- a tank and getting 280 +/- miles = you do the pathetic math) I can get myself to hand over the keys to my lane hogging weekend traveling fortress.

***If this thread already exist's, please feel free to link to it - I just can't seem to find one***[/img]

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i have a 2000 v6 manual trans

i get around 24-25mpg

4 motion doesnt help
automatic doesnt hlep
being a variant doesnt help
so take all that into concideration

the highest i ever got was 35 on a road trip
the lowest i ever got was 18 ( basicly changed shifts and drove like a mad man for a week)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got the 1.8T 4mo with leatherette and heated seats, as well as tip. You can definitely get all of those with leather seats. My car has 120 miles on it, so my mileahe hasn't stabilized. I get 25 mpg on my rural trip to work. EPA rating is 28mpg highway. Every European car that I have owned has typically exceeded the EPA estimates. I expect to get 25-32mpg when broken in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
18.t

I have a 1999 Variant 1.8T tip, and typicall get about 22-24 average. On a standard day with A/C off at 75 mph I was averaging about 38, so that's my ideal highway number, although with A/C on and a hot day it's closer to 30 on the freeway.

Earl

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I get about 10-15mpg local b/c I accelerate quickly from stops, and then have to freakin brake for the lights.

Highways I get 22-26 depending on how fast and aggressive I drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2003 1.8T barely broken in at 1700 miles (2700 km) - city 28mpg, highway 34 mpg. I think if I drive easier, I might get more in the city. :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My B5.5 4mo sedan usually gets about 20 mpg on my drives to work (25 minutes on divided highway with stoplights) as long as I use the tip and don't go up the revs too much. With more spirited driving that creeps down to 16 or 17 mpg. On the interstate it usually gets about 22-24 mpg at 80 mph. Not exactely a gas sipper. One thing I have noticed is the grade of gas really matters, only 91 octane gets these numbers with noticable changes with the lower grades (something I only recently found out when 91 octane was over 2.35 a gallon here in MA). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i get about 37-39 average at 75-80 mph. (2000 b5 1.8t)

I fill up with shell optimax at 98 ron always! That's at 87 pence a litre though so you do the maths.

When my maf was dead I got 43 mpg on 1 - 200 mile trip!
(car felt like crap though) :lol:

·
Registered
322 Posts
My 2001.5 glx 4motion did 21.50 mpg this last week (my first fill).
My tires are at 32 PSI.(Continental ContiContacts CH95)
I use it 85% highway and 15% city.

What can i do to improve the mpg?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
98 AEB 1.8T Variant Manual

I do a lot of long hauls between home, home, and home (PA, MA, SC respectively). Each trip is about 600 miles. On these hauls I get abou 30MPG.

When I am cruising about, all depends on the spirit in which I mash the gas pedal. Commonly 26-30MPG for city driving.

I use the high test fuel (about 93 octane).

Do get a variant. I think even if you did get a 4Mo, Automatic, Variant you would be using less fuel than your Durango.

Have you thought of going Diesel? 5/6 SPD TDI would be great!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PassatVariantPunk said:
98 AEB 1.8T Variant Manual
I think even if you did get a 4Mo, Automatic, Variant you would be using less fuel than your Durango.

Have you thought of going Diesel? 5/6 SPD TDI would be great!
I saw that the diesel isn't available in NY - is that true? Otherwise, I'm seeing that I'll probably be going with a low milage (>20kmi) '03 because of price. 8)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I went from a v6 4motion sedan to a 1.8T 4motion variant. I would say go for the 1.8T over the V6, the power difference isnt that much...plus a chip fixes that quickly. MPG is slightly better with the 1.8T than the V6.

I have leather, heated seats and tiptronic in mine. Its a lot cheaper and besides the engine the only real differences are the lack of electric seat positioning and autoclimate controller. Onstarr is even an option but hard to find.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
One of my trip odometers reads 3500 miles, with an average mpg of 24.9. This 3500 miles has come from rush hour traffic, 120 miles a day, with an average speed of 46mph.
When roads are clear, I sit it at around 75.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.