Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys --

I took my first long trip in my 2013 Passat TDI SEL recently. It was 200+ miles, 90 percent highway. The onboard computer said I got 45.7 miles per gallon for the trip. I couldn't believe it, so I checked it at the pump (45 mpg).

I know there are some small discrepancies between EPA estimates for a vehicle, but this car is rated at 40 mpg highway. I'm not complaining, but what gives?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,452 Posts
Depends on if it's flat or hilly. For instance. I have regularly gone north/south on I-81 and I-95 from MD to GA. When I had my 2015 TDI SELP, I got upwards of 48-50mpg highway on I-81 in the mountains, vs 41-42 going near the relatively flat coast on I-95. I did a trip form Baltimore to Orlando and back. I AVERAGED 50.2 over the round trip. Loaded with luggage and a butt in every seat position. The EPA tests are a little on the conservative side anyway. Most people can't drive for sh!t anyways. Some will never see even the EPA numbers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response. Makes sense. This is my first TDI and I am really impressed by the real-world MPG. I'm not babying it at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts