Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting Cable Modem (charter pipeline @ 2 megs) next week. I would like to know about any internet precautions or security issues BEFORE i get hooked up.

I download a LOT of music and am wondering how a firewall will work w/ FTP transfers??

Thanks in Advance!

Peace and VW's

daniel

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Most software firewall packages out there have presets to allow connections initiated from the inside (by you) and block connections initiated from outside (someone else trying to connect to your computer). This should be able to cover you.

If you are technically knowledgable with TCP/IP, you can fine tune it to whatever you want.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Get yourself a router, that will be your firewall also. I haven't had good luck with firewall software.

I have Charter also. I hope they are not charging you the $10 access fee if you don't have cable TV with them. If so, get them to drop that charge.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
julianfang said:
I download a LOT of music and am wondering how a firewall will work w/ FTP transfers??
Watch out for RIAA :wink:
I download mostly Grateful Dead and other Jam (tapper friendly bands) There is NEVER a problem w/ them cause they know the music is ours when they are done with it :wink:

VdubTX said:
I have Charter also. I hope they are not charging you the $10 access fee if you don't have cable TV with them. If so, get them to drop that charge.

I am also getting BASIC cable at $9.90 a month cause i get only two station with a crappy antenna...BTW I asked and it was not a requirement in my area to have any kind of TV cable.

Thanks for the advice!

daniel

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'd recommend getting a router even if you only use one PC...then get another firewall that logs scans, a good antivirus package, and keep all these and your OS updated on a regular basis. That would probably keep you at or above the 98% mark...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Somber Goat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing