Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have a job possibility in the Chicago area. I was wondering if anybody has lived in both the Phoenix metro area and Chicago area? How would you compare the two? It would seem they are about as different as you can get. it's brutally hot here, and bitter cold there. It's actually 92 today! Crazy.

I have a wife and kid so I'm not too interested in the club scene or the nightlife, but more quality of life aspects. How are the suburbs? How much is a nice 4 bedroom house? Are the schools good?

I know you guys at least have a good VW dealer in Libertyville!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hey shabby, depending on how long you want your commute to be there are TONS of possibilities of good neighborhoods with excellent schools.

I lived in Niles, IL about a 12 miles trek away from downtown Chicago, and my high school was in the upper 16% in the state. Not too far away was Winnetka/Wilmette area where the high school there (New Trier) is ranked 3rd statewide. These are all based on the new PSAT test that were recently inacted.

The price of a 4 bedroom house again, is very subjective. But it ain't cheap! :roll:

I believe we sold our old 4-bedroom house (in Niles) for $700k or so.

And yes, its MENACINGLY cold here. Downtown during the winter isn't so bad, its the 'wind-tunnel' effect that gets to you. :wink:

-alex

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
as far as schools go you have 2 choices. in the burbs or private if you live in chicago. Houses aren't cheap at all, your better off with a townhouse or condo in chicago or maybe a loft. I have lived in texas and chicago it might be a bit cold here in the winter but it's freakin hot also in the summer. If you have anymore questions let us know.

Also if you live in the burbs you can still get to Chicago very easy by metra train or by the "El" all of the trains go Downtown.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The job would be in the Libertyville area, which may hopefully put me in a cheaper area since it's already in the suburbs.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does illinois have state income tax? I noticed the property tax was outrageous, $7000 on a $300K house a year. In AZ my property tax is about $2400 a year for a house that is worth about $350K

·
Registered
428 Posts
not_too_shabby, one of my relatives who works for Motorola did exactly what you mention- move from the Phoenix area to Chicagoland. He currently lives in Buffalo Grove, Illinois. I'll ask him about the questions you brought up and get back to you via PM.

Oh yes, Illinois does have a state income tax- it's 3% before exemptions I believe. Indiana's is 3.4%; I don't know about Wisconsin.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks raneek.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I am in Toronto and Chicago is close enough so get used to shovelling snow and crappy weather. I'd love to move to Phoenix! I know its hot but the cold up here really keeps you inside most of the winter. You'll have to find new hobbies like snowboarding. Not too sure where around Chicago. Chicago is an amazing city though...full of history and great architecture. Being an architect I really like Chicago. Never been to Phoenix though. Tough choice. :???:

Let me know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow, I lived in Arizona and then moved here!!!

But that was when I was a little tyke, so I dont' remember much :cry:

Chicago's a cool place, a fun city, and go Cubbies!!!! :wink:

I think you'll get used to the winter after just one November through March stint. You'll never get used to our crazy weather however, we've had below freezing and 70 degree weather in the same week :crazy: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts