Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I already have a roof rack on my other car, but it's incompatible with the variant. Anyhow don't really want to spoil it's good looks with a rack.

Anyone have a good idea of how to put a mountain bike(sometimes muddy) in the back of variant, given that one seat will have a baby seat in it and part of the trunk filled with a stroller.
Folding the single seat down and then putting the bike without the front wheel in head first and securing it is what I have come up with, but do you have any better suggestions?

I mainly use the car with the rack when I am going out to ride alone, but as the weather is getting nicer would like to take the whole family out.

James.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
jamerson9 said:
Folding the single seat down and then putting the bike without the front wheel in head first and securing it is what I have come up with, but do you have any better suggestions?
I have a sedan and that's exactly how I fit my bike in my trunk. Works just fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I started off biking really cheap but ended up spending a lot more due to having to sell the cheap stuff off and buy the "good" stuff.

I started off with a trunk mounted rack. I would strongly suggest getting a roof rack if you are planning to use the rack often. I had a Saris Bones rack, which was rock soild with up to 3 bikes on the highways and on bumpy unpaved roads, but the hassle of taking it off and putting it on again really grew old. I know it only took 3 mins to put it on, however...

Looks like the only thing that I need to worry about is securing the bike such that it does not fall over on the baby... :eek:

James.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
not_too_shabby has a fantastic homemade bike mount made from a piece of plywood cut to fit the floor of the variant. He put fork mounts on the inside end and some sort of clip on the back end. I imagine you could make 'half' of it and it would work quite well. :)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the only thing that I need to worry about is securing the bike such that it does not fall over on the baby...
yeah, I couldn't drive around with the bike in the back and a baby, just too much potential for disaster there. Suck it up and get an external rack. I think it improves the look of the variants anyway.

just my overly conservative $.02.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The THULE 592 indoor carrier is for securing two (up to four with adaptors) in the rear of an MPV/variant. Looks quite simple it is basically a bar with two fork clamps on it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the Thule 751xt, that fits on the Variant's roof rails. It takes all of about 2 minutes to put on or take off, so you can just pop it on when you need to carry bikes and take it off when you're done.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Here is a pic of the bike rack I made. You only have to fold one of the seats to get one bike in. So you could still keep the baby seat in.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^That's friggin' awesome... Do you mind if I copy the idea?

·
Registered
96 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
Here is a pic of the bike rack I made. You only have to fold one of the seats to get one bike in. So you could still keep the baby seat in.
You mean load the bike in the variant AND keep the baby seat in?!

BRILLIANT!!

If you don't mind I am going to copy as well. I have been debating whether to get a rack system or not. With the baby seat it was looking more like a rack, but this may save me the trouble. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts