Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a pair of these for me and my wife. We're coming from ancient Kyocera 2035a's that we got in 2000. Initial impressions are good, just wanted to get any feedback from any of you who may have this phone (before my 15-day money back guarantee runs out with VZW).
:)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I had a T720 (Which is VERY similar) and dust CONSTANTLY got under the screen. I have never seen anyone else get this problem though. I got about 3 replacements which all got dust under the screen, and at that point I gave up and just dealt with it. I was too much of a wuss to void my warranty and clean it out myself.

Anyways, my contract went out and I went to Cingular and got a V400. Much better screen, a pretty good camera, lots of features, and I love it. I decided to open up the T720 and clean out the screen, since I wasn't using it anymore. It was pretty easy to open, even though I had to spend $5 on a Torx #4 bit, and I just used a wipe to get rid of the dust.

I think that the T7xx series is sort of plagued by stupid problems like this. Now that they're pretty old, most people on www.howardforums.com seem to say thing like "Yeah, that old T720 was a pile of junk" It was OKAY but I was glad to get rid of it when the time came.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I haven't used them and don't know the price, but I wasn't to big a fan of my old Motorola. I got the LG VX-6000. It is a camera phone, has a color screen and fantastic reception. And if you had Verizon Wireless with your old plan in 2000, you can get $100 of a new phone each, their "New Every Two", so you should go back and ask about that.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'm going to switch from Nextel to Verizon next week and that's the phone I'm considering. I wish Verizon had more smart phones or units with bells-and-whistles like TMobile, AT&T, and Cingular but it's the coverage which gives them the edge.

I love Motorola phones, so the T730 looks pretty good. I wish Verizon would get the new V600!!!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Verizon rocks... I have service everywhere, Cingular sucks out here, I had them for a few months... ended up biting the bullet and paying the 200 dollar early contract termination fee, I couldn't deal with my phone not working anywhere. I have the LG VX6000, nice phone, I got a good deal on it, and it works for me. The T720 is a good phone, I don't know enough baout it though to accuratly judge it. I have never used the T730, so I can't say... just play with it for the first few days... if you don't like it, replace it :wink:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
OMG!!! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! :lol:

It's pretty simple to disassemble, jut take off the faceplate, undo the 4 screws, and fiddle with the plastic tabs a bit until you can separate the LCD from the plastic casing and the plastic lens that goes over it. Use whatever you want to wipe away the dust, just be careful with the LCD.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments!

gig103 said:
And if you had Verizon Wireless with your old plan in 2000, you can get $100 of a new phone each, their "New Every Two", so you should go back and ask about that.
I asked about that, but for some reason we didn't have New Every Two.
We only paid $50 each for these phones, which I understand is a pretty good deal.
I really like this thing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The Swami said:
I love Motorola phones, so the T730 looks pretty good. I wish Verizon would get the new V600!!!!
I know the T7xx series has had lots of troubles, but maybe by now they've fixed most of them.

And Verizon would only be able to use the V600 if they switched to GSM. ;) Though right now, who knows if anyone's getting the V600. Sounds like it's supposed to have been an exclusive to AT&T Wireless in the beginning, but I don't even know when it'll be released. People are up in arms on AT&T Wireless's boards, trying to figure out who to yell at about the US release not having happened yet, and speculating on when it'll be out. :weirdo:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It is out yet, but it's not readily available in stores yet. Look at the crazy mofo's at HowardForums, they all have like 5 cell phones that they bought WITHOUT a plan, which makes them cost over $400 :crazy: :weirdo:

There are a few people with it, but they're the people that will shell out $800 for the newest phone possible.....and they also get unlocked ones to work with whatever carrier they're on.....

·
Registered
486 Posts
This topic is right on point. As I am at this pivotal decision in my cell phone life. I am too considering the T730. However, when I visited Verizon, the sales people were directing everybody to the LGVX6000 - Verizon's first camera phone. The rep did not have much positive to say on the motorola's. I have a timeport 270c that has been virtually flawless. LG must be dumping lots of loot towards Verizon.

One disadvantage of the LGVX6000 is that it's only a dual mode phone - no analog roam. Most reps don't tell you this - all they talk about is the camera features and the rebates to get you in the $100 range for "New every 2". Has anyone experienced loss of service when roaming outside of major metro areas with the LG? Just curious. Having tri-mode is important to me plus, I don't need a camera phone. I just bring my digital camera.

Another thing, don't get rid of your old phones when you upgrade. If you happen to lose your new phone, you can have your old phones reactivated on your number until you can buy another one. Definitely helpful if cash is tight when you lose it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tri mode! That's the reason I didn't go with the LGVX6000.
Up here in VT, Verizon is king and digital service is only within 20 miles of the interstates (with exceptions).
The salespeople must get directives from HQ as to which phone to push depending on how a particular model is moving. With VZW, I saw this when shopping for this phone for the past 2 months: one week it was the LG camera phone, the next the CDM8600... My wife worked as a waitress through college, and she and the other waitrons would have a pool as to who could push the most of a certain dish that night. Perhaps someone in retail can enlighten us on this tactic.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Kiyoshi said:
It is out yet, but it's not readily available in stores yet. Look at the crazy mofo's at HowardForums, they all have like 5 cell phones that they bought WITHOUT a plan, which makes them cost over $400 :crazy: :weirdo:

There are a few people with it, but they're the people that will shell out $800 for the newest phone possible.....and they also get unlocked ones to work with whatever carrier they're on.....
I know there's a number of people buying them from Europe, but I don't think it's really "available" here yet (except by buying them overseas or from someone who's gotten some from overseas). They've been out for a while, just not here (due to either quality issues elsewhere getting worked out, or some party holding up the actual delivery -- lots of people want it, not sure why it's not out yet).

One of the only Motorola phones that I might be interested in enough to buy. Just have to wait and see how many problems crop up once enough people Stateside get them. :) (Bluetooth + quad-band is niiiiiice. 8) )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
idale
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing