Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received an order from FCP Euro.
They seemed to be the cheapest option for me with their free shipping once everything totaled out.
I just wanted to make sure that I got the right brands for the job as I am trying to avoid cheaper chinese parts.

2 Corteco Motor Mounts (Are these fluid filled? I chose this over the solid Febi)
2 Lemforder Transmission Mounts
2 Corteco Sway Bar Bushings
1 Black Forest Industries Snub Mount.

Are these the brands I should have chosen? Can anyone provide their experiences? Are they good and better than the Chinese brands?
This is on an 01 B5 V6. I know that these are replacing originals from the factory. I barely have a snub mount left.
Does anyone know the part# for the TTY Sub Frame bolt to replace when doing mounts?

I also have a set of used Raxles from eBay coming in the mail. They just need a re-booting as theres some dry rot.
I am going to reboot and regrease the inners and outers with GKN boots. Once again, is this the right brand?

Lastly, I picked up a what looks to be brand new NGK Ignition Wire set from the junkyard for $16 vs $110 on ECS.
Is this a good set? Any reviews?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,141 Posts
Generally, aftermarket mounts either vibrate more or wear out faster than VW original ones. I've gotten over 100,000 miles out of all my original mounts, so I replaced them with same. If you must have a cheaper part, I hear the Corteco aren't that bad. Problem is, last I looked Corteco isn't all that much cheaper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just bought corteco motor & trans & snub mounts too (less than half the price), we'll see how they hold up!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Corteco will be fine (there are conflicting claims on if they are the original OEM or not); they are certainly better than the bargain-basement mounts.

Lemforder is the OEM for many of the VW suspension parts; don't know if they made the original trans mounts or not.

GKN is the VW OEM for the joints; don't know if they are the OEM for the boots, but certainly they should be fine.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
That BFI snub mount may end up being a bit stiff. Unless you want almost no engine movement with higher than stock vibration (typically more noticeable in a car with the Tiptronic transmission), you might be better off with the rubber version (~$7) snub mount.

The 12 yr old polyurethane foam Corteco mount on my '04 Passat is beginning degradation (friable surface), so I'll eventually replace it with the solid rubber version.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I am going to reboot and regrease the inners and outers with GKN boots. Once again, is this the right brand?

Lastly, I picked up a what looks to be brand new NGK Ignition Wire set from the junkyard for $16 vs $110 on ECS.
Is this a good set? Any reviews? Thanks
The GKN boot kits are what I have used. As far as the wires are concerned, unless you have misfires due to a bad OE wire, the NGKs are not going to improve anything.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
That BFI snub mount may end up being a bit stiff. Unless you want almost no engine movement with higher than stock vibration (typically more noticeable in a car with the Tiptronic transmission), you might be better off with the rubber version (~$7) snub mount.

The 12 yr old polyurethane foam Corteco mount on my '04 Passat is beginning degradation (friable surface), so I'll eventually replace it with the solid rubber version.
Performance poly snub mounts (Stern, APR, BFI), installed correctly, don't make for more vibes. They are a no-brainer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have the ECS poly snub mount and have anymore vibrations than the stock snub mount. I should also mention i have a tiptronic.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Following this also. I priced the Corteco motor, transmission mounts and there is a huge difference in cost compared the VW/Audi. Is there really going to be a noticeable difference between the brands?

I certainly don't want more vibration but like a few things on this car. This confuses me as to where to pay for the Original or go with the aftermarket.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you want a mount that will last and cheaper go performance aftermarket, trade off is more vibration. Want no vibration and save money go with an after market fluid filled mount, trade off shorter life. Want no vibration plus long life go OEM, trade off cost. Can't have it all...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts