Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a whole in my bumper

it looks ( and god help the "street kids" if this turns out to be true) like some one melted a small whole in my bumper with a lighter or something

anyway that fury put aside for right now

the paint around the edges of said hole is starting to peel away

WHAT SHOULD I DO
( aside shock thouse punks nuts with taser)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got one

i just need to upload it ( my camera is at home im at work right now)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
WTF? :???:
Sorry bro. Yes, as someone commented... there is a special (flexible) bumper filler (like bondo) it dries blackish/grey. You can sand it, prime it and paint it pretty easily.

I did this to my rear bumper about two years ago after getting sick of looking at the countless scrapes and holes (from liscense plates).
Someone at Autopia told me I could never do it using spray cans.
Yes, spray cans. :weirdo: A can of black magic and a can of clear coat and a can of black primer, bumper filler, sand paper, different buffing compounds and lots of patience, and more sanding and people flip out when I show them. I screwed up the first time, went to Autopia where a moderator told me I Fu**ed up and should take it to get professionally painted. That was all the inspiration I needed. :crazy:

It looks great now... uhm minus that damn new scrape! :lol:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so should i cut that section out or what

ive never used filler before

what would it cost to get it fixed by a pro in terms of $$$$

what do you think a new bumper costs ( not that im going that route but its nice to know)

·
Registered
453 Posts
bumper

Hate to tell ya you are gunna have to replace it !!! ther eis no filler out there that will fill a hole that large. ( I work at a body shop) that is how I know this ...Sorry bro

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Couldn't he use some stitched fiberglass mat to reinforce the hold? Glass the hold up, sand and bondo to get the contour properly. I'm not body guy but I'm just thinking from my experience with custom installation. Would that be structurally sound? I know with the right tools and patience it can work.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not really cuz they are 2 different materials you would have to do suck a large are so that the fiberglass would overlapp a huge area. time and patience= $$$$$ more cost effective to replace with a used bumper or remand bumper....good idea though!!!! :b5:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not that big a whole

the acutall hole part i can barely stick the tip of my pinky finger in

but the suronding area is kinda of bubbled a little

1 - 12 of 12 Posts