Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this car on eBay for the last year....never sells and is immediately re-listed. It's an interesting and cool car (which I would love to have) but you think they would get the message.

I guess someone will eventually cough up the dough....
:roll:

Datsun 240Z on eBay

UPDATE: this is the first change they have made to the auction, ever. It has always been first bid $25K and unknown reserve. Once in a while somebody bids, but never more than one.

New 240Z auction

C'mon, I dare ya!

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
1300 since restoration, 52,000 total. Call me crazy, but this is not a great investment. Japanese cars, while great to drive and own, don't seem to command that much collector attention.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: no bids, and relisted once again :crazy: You can still follow the link above to the new auction, in case you want to participate...

The thing about this car is that it is unique: factory restoration to near perfection, if the story is true. The problem is now what do you do with it? Is it a museum piece? But it has been driven since the restoration, so the luster is gone. If it was "as new" it would be worth more, but it would probably be worth the dough in this condition only if it were original-not restored.....

You (almost) never get back even close to what was spent in restoration (believe me, I know) and should act like it is expected, as the seller does here.

I don't see this car appreciating much, if at all, so purchasing for an investment would be out.

So is it a driver? It would be a great one, but not for that money.

But like I said before: Someone will probably come through eventually.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
If I win tomorrows lottery drawing, I'll buy it. It would look nice in a museum style garage. It's a pretty car, and nicely restored.

The reality is though, I don't have money coming out of my arse so I'd never even think about buying it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kiyoshi said:
How come you've been following this thing so much? Just curiosity?
What, you think it 's weird? I don't. Not at all. Are you sure? I'm not obsessive, you just think that. I don't, because I'm not. No, no, no....

Seriously tho..

After I sold my '69 Mustang (which i restored), I was in the bargaining phase of grief (if I get another car,that will make me feel better) and was looking for another project, or more preferably, one that was already done. That way, i would not lose all that money you will almost always lose in the process.....whatever,

Anywho, I have always like the original Z's and was shopping/researching for a while and saw this car on eBay. I would check back periodically and it was always there. It's like an old friend now, and I will miss it if it sells...

Well, you asked :p

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
LOL I didn't think it's weird, I would have been curious if I was looking for a vintage completed project car, I was just wondering what got you following this utter failure of a sale. And doesn't it cost a couple hundred bucks to do a full fledged car ad on eBay Motors?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts