Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but has anyone dared to go beyond the 105,000 limit on their original 1.8t timing belt?

I'm at 108,000 and will have to wait until around 109,000 before it can get changed. Anyone want to bet on whether I make it?

What causes more wear on a belt/tensioner......high rev highway miles or city stop and go miles?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
c'mon....I want odds......if the tensioner is good, the belt should go a hell of a lot longer than 105k

·
Registered
87 Posts
108 Miles!!! Thats not a bad effort I must say! If you have the money to spend on the damage that will occur continue driving. You can be the forum lab rat and give us feed back on how long you continue to drive on the one belt. Cheers

·
Registered
589 Posts
i woulda changed it a LONGGGG time ago. mine broke at 89,000. and luckily i still had warranty or i woulda been paying ALOT of money. but continue if youd like. jus havin fun payin lots and lots of money for the damage

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
108 Miles!!! Thats not a bad effort I must say! If you have the money to spend on the damage that will occur continue driving. You can be the forum lab rat and give us feed back on how long you continue to drive on the one belt. Cheers
Ditto ... ;) btw did mine @ 90k.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had 150,000 on a 98' A4 2.8 and the original belt was great yet but the water pump went out so i just replaced it. I also had a 97' Mits Eclipse GS-T Spyder that had 140,000 miles on the original belt and it was fine to and that one I had pushing 375 WHP and ran 12.4's all day long. But thats just my luck I wouldn't tell anyone else to do that wit out keeping a good eye on things.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Changed at 90,000 miles and the belt was loose and the tensioner was really hard to spin compared to the new one. For a 1000 miles is it worth it. Spend 275-1000 to buy parts or have it done. Toss it on a credit card and pay it off in a couple weeks, since you said you only needed to get 1000 miles that must be acouple weeks.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Take the bus til you get it changed
Seriously, failure is very likely ande the cost of thje belt v. cost of rebuilding a destroyed engine.
Note that if your car is older the rubber on the belt will be failing from age and some of the early tensioners were very bad.
Anyone out of warranty wants to do this by 70k

·
Registered
457 Posts
What year is your car? 98s (an early 99s?) arenotorious for their faulty tensioners. As to type of driving, I think number of engine turns, age (plastic becomes britle with age), and temperature extremese, especially codl, are probably the biggest factors. Very high RPMs are probably somewhat hard on the belt too, but exactly how high do you go on the freeway? :) I recently changed mine (2002 1.8T) at around 102K and change. It still seemed OK, but it started to show some signs of aging. But I bet I could have gone another 20K.

But since we are taking bets, i bet youts could go 109. But change it ASAP.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
changed mine yesterday at 74,500 miles. My old one was still in moderate shape, but now I can have some piece of mind while driving....especially on road trips.

Get that thing changed!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, you got me all paranoid. tb changed at 108025

The funniest thing happened. I started my thread last night, stating that I would have to wait until 109k before I could get it back to Madison for service. I was confident that I would have no issues. I kept reading other posts and wouldn't you know it, I actually lost sleep wondering if sometime during my 227 mile drive, the belt would fail. I got to work this morning, called Rochester VW and sure enough, they could work on my '00 tomorrow! So, it looks as if I'll never see a 109k timeing belt. My official submission is 108025 on the original belt and tensioner. I'm asking to see the belt after the the service is done.

The good news is that I was offered a loaner car!!! An '07 Audi 3.2 Quattro with 3200 miles. Comfy seats, holds the road nicely, too many gadgets for my simple tastes, and the straight road ride isn't as smooth as my '00 Passat (couldn't understand that one). I'm not sure, but I pretty sure my 1.8t w/ Autothority chip is faster. I also prefer my stock sound system to the Audi; however, the Audi has a setting for optimal sound in the drivers' seat, that was pretty cool.

Truth be told, all you paranoid mofo's played a role in having me get the service done sooner than later. I honestly felt a little better having pulled into the service bay and shutting the car off. I'm also changing all the filters, plugs, water pump, tentioner, and I'm going to get the interior detailed (shampooed). I can't wait to get my car back. I love that damned car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts