Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little help for me please. 8) Anyone have any info on this? If both motors were pushing 300 hp, which one would be more reliable; the 1.8T Stage III, or a chipped 2.7T? Even though the 1.8T is smaller, I was thinking that it still wouldn't break as much. Or am I wrong? :???:

Harry

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
In my experience, the more modified a car is from stock, generally the least reliable it is. My experience w/ the APR turbokit was so-so when I had a 1.8t Passat w/ the kit. The highest dyno figures I got for the car was around 221.7whp. I had my share of probs back in the day. In the end, it ran ok but was not worth the hassle imo.

I imagine a chipped 2.7t would prob be safer, as you're just changing the software, unless of course the software is innapropriate (too much boost, wrong octane, etc).

I don't see how you came up with the conclusion that the 1.8t wouldn't break as much, or is any way more reliable. However, i do think you bring a good argument. Theoretically, I think the 1.8t is a really bulletproof turbo motor even in stock form. IIRC, the APR kit runs 25lbs of boost, and nobody has yet to blow their motor from overboost that I know of. Of course, the 1.8t is an iron block, so it should be more reliable for turbocharging.

The 2.7t, in contrast i beleive is an aluminum block. Not sure if I'm correct, but I don't think the 2.7t is using iron sleeves or forged internals stock. IMO, it may be risky to boost a stock aluminum block much at all. While I think a chip would prob be ok, I would be somewhat relucatant to throw in something more. I'll also put my money on the 1.8t lasting longer than the 2.7t. However, I'm no expert but that's my guess.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would think the 2.7t.....mostly because so much has to be removed to install an APR stg. 3, there is more room for installer error. My brother never had 1 problem with his stg.3 A4, but as you can see from Ronalds post, there were some people who did have issues. Only issues I have seen from S4s were blown turbos.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
B5 S4 has an iron block. However the limit on how much boost you run even on an aluminum block is sky high if it is well designed and the tuning is in order.Tuning and design of internals are key issues and the 1.8T is most certainly not bullet proof. Just go over to audiworld and ask buyers of PES T28 kits.

http://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/60699.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/60757.phtml

anyways there's too many factors that play into this to say which will be more reliable. Pick a car, do sensible modifications, and hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I say neither would be reliable. The 2.7T has been the most unreliable turbo engine Audi ever made, hence why it was discontinued. It chews turbos even when stock and you have to pull the engine to replace the turbos. And I can't imagine that a stage III andything would be very reliable, but I have no proof that the 1.8T stage III would be unreliable...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
SDPassatT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing