Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a ton of searching and talking to different people about my goal of upgrading my turbo. It seems that if I were loaded I could go with the top o the line APR kit. it is a nice setup, but $4500 for just the kit is a little high for me. I talked to a couple of people and there responses about the gt28r kit that mounts to the stock manifold is only utilizing about 65% of what that turbo has to offer. I spoke to nice tech rep at apr and he said that he would sell me the gt28r, but I would be wasting time and money if I was not able to use it to its full output. He said that they are producing a software which will use a ko4 and there software and it will let the ko4 operate about at 95% of it capability. Is there other software out there that will work with a ko4. I currently have a wett 1bar, works great, but I am a little leary about investing more money with them. I guess what I am saying is, is there anyone else using a ko4 and what software are you running and are you satisfied. Please let me know

Michael

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have a gt28r mounted to a modified stock manifold using upsolutes bt software and it rocks, I dont have a dyno yet but I can tell you it will outperform a k04 any day of the week. APR's kit is nice but a little on the pricey side for the gains you will see IMO.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are the kind of responses I need. Please give me some more insight on how and how much your turbo upgrade cost u. Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vista cruiser is it worth looking at one of these kits 97-04 Audi/Passat 1.8T GTRS Eliminator Hardware Kit Let me know what you think

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I think those look like great kits, the adapter flange on the original ATP stage2 was a major POS and caused a ton of problems for me but now that I have that all worked out it is a good setup up but far from plug and play. The cool thing about the eliminator kit is you retain all your stock components (manifold,cat, downpipe) and it looks to fairly trouble free. You will not get full potential out of the turbo using the stock manifold but you will get still see more gains than a K04. If I had to do it again I would go with the RS eliminator and Upsolute software. I would also try to find a spare stock manifold and have a P&P job done to it for extra flow as well as port matching.

Edit...... I were you I may save some money and go with the gtx eliminator kit ( i somehow doubt the stock manifold will flow enough to justify the RS) couple that with a 3" MAF and some ford green top 440's and upsolute software and you would be up and running for around 2k. Then of course you will find a ton of other things you will want to change in the quest to squeeze more power out of your setup.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to the atp site and it looks like the gtx kit is cheaper than the rs. I am looking at the wrong thing. Please let me know.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Michael T Borelli said:
I went to the atp site and it looks like the gtx kit is cheaper than the rs. I am looking at the wrong thing. Please let me know.
No, thats right, I meant save some money with the GTX kit. What tranny do you have?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am very happy witht the gt28rs, the kit price is 2100.00 from atp and will make you a bat out of ....you know where. 5 spd is a must though. Upsolute is the bast i have found for a dbc car. I have front wheel drive though, and have had to do suspension/wheel and tire upgrades to attempt putting the power to the ground.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is going into my 03 wagon and it seems like everyone is in agreement that the ko4 is a waste of money.

doogie h-where are located at in philly? I am reading PA and was wondering if you are going to hit the gtg in pottstown next saturday. I would love to take a ride in a car that has the setup in it. I have done about all of the mods I think will help with a bigger turbo. I have kw v2, TT DP 2.5 exhaust, Diesel Geek SS, wett 1bar chip and other cool mods that have nothing to do with performance. Yes it is a 5 speed but it is DBW, do you still think it will perform pretty well. Thanks for all of the great info.

Side note I was running late tonight for my partime job, funeral home, and I needed to go to the bank before I went to the veiwing and some idiot was trying to race me because I was driving fast. These days you can't rush somewhere w/out some knucklehead thinking you want to race them. Just thought I would share. And yes, I spanked him(I do not approve of racing, but sometimes.....)

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Anybody want to explain why a K04 would be a waste of money on a 2003?:D

·
Registered
618 Posts
Michael T Borelli said:
I am reading PA and was wondering if you are going to hit the gtg in pottstown next saturday.
Were at and when is it? I don't know anything about it. I just looked in the get together section and didn't see anything. I am real close to pottstown so I would prolly be down if it is this sat. If not you can role down to my place and well go for a spin.. I would like to see your car. Tired of all the "normal" Passats' round heeya!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just an IM from a friend on vortex and the gtg is being moved to the skatepark under the bridge in philly on sunday. Now back in the day I would be all over it, but I play hockey on a sunday and can't miss a game. Usually the gtg are on sat at the wendys on Route 100 at 2:00. When the weather breaks we have a great gtg every sat night at the target near PSU/berks campus. We went every saturday last year and there was always something different. Anywhoo I am real close to pottstown and when you give me the word I will take a cruise down. I really want to feel the difference between stock and yours. Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ko4 software from apr is still being developed and the tech rep said it would be out by waterfest.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
^^ just don't believe it. they've made promises before and can't see why they'd focus their time on developing a k04 kit for the b5 when the b6 is out. i just can't see them selling that many to justify the r&d.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts