Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the leaky air ducts in the house. Original to 1987, they were pulling dust in from the attic and pumping it through the house. New windows and siding already done.

Funny, 1st estimate was 5K and they wanted to cut into a sealed wall to replace 1 duct. 2nd was much cheaper and they knew not to cut into a sealed wall. Will see how much cooler the upstairs is now that we are not cooling the attics. Allergies have been brutal non-stop for over 2 years, even when we stayed in the house all day. Hopefully now my allergies will get better.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Replaced the leaky air ducts in the house. Original to 1987, they were pulling dust in from the attic and pumping it through the house. New windows and siding already done.

Funny, 1st estimate was 5K and they wanted to cut into a sealed wall to replace 1 duct. 2nd was much cheaper and they knew not to cut into a sealed wall. Will see how much cooler the upstairs is now that we are not cooling the attics. Allergies have been brutal non-stop for over 2 years, even when we stayed in the house all day. Hopefully now my allergies will get better.
So I gotta ask, why were they drawing air from attic?
That should be a huge improvement all the way around. Less dust, normal air intake temperatures (not stifling hot or frigid air) to give that heat exchanger a chance to work efficiently.
Your health should improve significantly. That's key right there.

You could always move just a bit further west and only have to worry about air conditioning. That's 50% less to worry about. :p
Just sayin' :whistle:

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ducts were torn open, so between venturi effect when the a/c was running and pressure of the wind over the house (vented attic) there was the constant circulation of dust. My allergies were bad even when the allergens were no longer in the air. I usually had no issues after the rains stop in June (not this year) until October when everything starts growing like crazy. I already feel the temp difference, no hot air from the vents when the a/c starts. Allergies are slightly better, but it will take a few days for the swelling in my eyes to get better.

A/C is already 75% of the year, I don't want it 100%.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow, spammers love my thread.

Spending more again. New roof after hail damage last year. Only paying the deductible.

Then french drains to stop the yard from flooding after heavy rains. We get our rain in heavy doses, 5" last month and already 2.6" this month. Ground is heavy clay and so wet it will not absorb any more water, so the yard and gardens flood. The water also sits under the foundation of the house, it was coming out when the foundation repairs were made. Then by summer, it all bakes to a nice hard rock.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
You need like a 14" dia. pipe buried underground with all of your downspouts going into it.
Then causally route it ALL to the street.

I did that to my house when I lived out in the country up in WI. I had buried (3) 6" dia. pipes that carried ALL of the water away from the house and into the ditch during the spring thaw to keep my septic system from being saturated.
About five houses down, their front yard was flooded for 2 months every spring. :unsure:

If the county ever found out what I had done I'd probably get tossed into jail. I had all of the gutters, both of my septic pumps, laundry water and the dishwasher water all going out to the ditch.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have 3 pipes going to the street, but it will all be legal :p The 2 houses next door at the end of the block drain into my yard and between each house on the downhill side is a low point that floods. During heavy rains it was nearly 12" deep and killed several plants as it took a long time to drain. I dug a small drainage channel a few years ago and that helped quite a bit. I will have the downspouts tied into the system along with 6 12x12 inlets and about 280ft of drains.
I wanted to do it myself as I always used to be able to do a good amount of manual labor, but my back will not hold up to any heavy work now. I've always felt bad paying to have anything done that I could do myself, it comes from being some-what poor as a child. We always had enough to get by, but 12 kids are expensive to raise.
This year will cost slightly less than last year, but the work done last year increased the value of the house more than the money spent. Not that it matters as we don't plan on moving.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drains all around the house, cars in the street.
Center front drain, wet area killed most of our Daylillies.

Drain from backyard and flow from uphill neighbors:

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drain around side of house:

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Holy cats. That looks like a doozy. Will this solve the problem once for all?
I gotta ask, that wasn't all dug by hand was it?

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That should keep the foundation stable for the rest of my life. It's also keeping the yard well drained with only small puddles in some low spots even after the 4" of rain we've already had this month. The front used to have 2-3" of standing water and the side used to have up to 12" of water flowing in front of the fence during heavy rains. The back patio and center of the yard would have 2-4" of standing water. They used a small backhoe for most of the work.

The house sank a bit after initial construction and pushed the wet clay soil up and away in the front yard. The high spot in the front is halfway to the street, so water pooled by the house in front and on the uphill side flooding the shed and killing multiple plants.

Our average rainfall is 36" per year (about the same as Seattle and Portland. We were just below that last year at 34.5". In 2018 we had nearly 56" of rain and we are well above average already for this year with more coming in the next few days.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Our average rainfall is 36" per year (about the same as Seattle and Portland. We were just below that last year at 34.5". In 2018 we had nearly 56" of rain and we are well above average already for this year with more coming in the next few days.
Bring some of that rain over here.
We average per year what you probably get on any given rain shower after about 90 minutes.

I really hope this is the end of your issues with that house.
You're retired, time to let the next owner worry about those issues.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I expect it to be many years before there is a next owner. We've had 12" of rain in a month a couple of times and then none for over a month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts