Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Based on the picture and zero understanding of German I'd guess the Nav system told the driver to turn down a railroad line instead of a road.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
And babelfish proves me correct.
GOVERNMENT INSPECTION DEPARTMENT MISUNDERSTANDING
Drive ends in the middle in the station

Again a case for the slogan "confidence is good, looking is better": Because a driver did not understand the data of his navigation system correctly, its travel ended roughly - on the rails of a station.

Karlsruhe - an unusual sight was offered yesterday 1 of the Karlsruher Albtalbahnhofs to the waiting at track, when instead of the expected course a black BMW rolled over the rails. The 64-jaehrige driver brought its cars the inside one the station to a halt.

Caution with the entry:This rail-mounted vehicle did not stand on the timetable

Caution with the entry: This rail-mounted vehicle did not stand on the timetable
The man was wrongly bent, because he had misunderstood obviously the data of his government inspection department system. After driving through the paved rail range it continued its driving in the geschotterten range, where it came to some meters to a halt.

On Monday a Freiburger driver had rammed stairs, because he had paid attention to the navigation equipment instead of on the road.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The GPS in my Touareg has tried to kill me a couple of times. Greta gets very angry when you don't follow her directions precisely.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
iDrive doesn't need to go (OK, maybe it does), the driver needs a useable brain.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Twice my S Class navi tried having me drive in to a wall, once a left turn on to a one way street and a u turn (those two happen in the same day).
Tho a lot of it has to be blamed on out of date maps on the DVD's, like the one way street deal was because i knew that street used to be two way but was made one day because it was two tight.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
iDrive doesn't need to go (OK, maybe it does), the driver needs a useable brain.
Agreed, notice just how far down the tracks the car is - one would assume the "Platform 43" sign and a slightly bumpy road would have given the game away a little sooner.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
I drive is fine, iditos are the problem.

And to add Audi to the the "my nav tried to kill me" list too

chalk up one to my A3's nav;)

They can be off by as much as 100m sometimes.

Also I was stuck in traffic on the freeway overpass, and my nav changed me to being on the street below. That was kind of weird, I guess it thought I shouldn't be going that slow on the freeway. I agreed ;)
-d

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
In my limited experience iDrive sucks. Sucks.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
In my limited experience iDrive sucks. Sucks.
That is the problem though, most only get liited time. It is easy once you spend a little time with it. It is like almost any technology. the MMI is just the same.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya know I can read maps and directions, I don't need a device to explain it to me as I go.
Amen. I miss the days of plotting my course on a big fold out map. Even Yahoo/ Google maps take some of the fun (and pride) of figuring out how to get places with more rudimentary tools.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Amen. I miss the days of plotting my course on a big fold out map. Even Yahoo/ Google maps take some of the fun (and pride) of figuring out how to get places with more rudimentary tools.
sure....

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
That is the problem though, most only get liited time. It is easy once you spend a little time with it. It is like almost any technology. the MMI is just the same.

I know you're an owner so you're probably going to be more defensive about this, but there's NOTHING intuitive or easy to use about iDrive. I mean seriously, how many screens do you have to get through to adjust the A/C? Better question, WHY do you even have to do it with iDrive? Talk about a pain in the ass. All these companies trying to cram more shit where it doesn't belong. It's like friggin' cell phones. I want a phone, not a camera, camcorder, computer, music player, map, fax machine, or whetever other bonehead thing they want to shove in there.

Simply, keeping shit separate inherantly makes it easier to use.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Tangent only:

My uncle in LA has sat-nav on his MDX and he uses it all the time, even to places where he knows where to go. The running joke was that he likes the computer's voice better than his wife's.

Anyway, he was bringing us back to our hotel (guided by the sat-nav, of course). When we got off the highway I could see the hotel straight ahead but he missed the turn for whatever reason and we ended up going around the block which took about 10 minutes.

Sat-nav is good to a point but is no substitute for using your eyes.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
I know you're an owner so you're probably going to be more defensive about this, but there's NOTHING intuitive or easy to use about iDrive.
I don't own a BMW anymore ;) 2 audis for the moment...

But I am one that adapts to technology fairly well..

All the auto interfaces are similar. I drive has just been out longer so it gets the butt of the jokes. The MMI in audis is just the same. Honestly though with a day or 2 of playing with it, anyone should be able to use it.

Sure it isn't basic like a GLS Passat's heating and rasio controls. But there is something to be said for having everything at your fingertips.. All cars will be moving this way, so might as well adapt now...

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
oh yeah. I forgot you got rid of the X5. Nice move BTW. The A3s are siiiiiick.

How much more at your fingertips do you need? You stretch your arm out and make your adjustment. Having to take your eyes off the road to adjust your HVAC is simply stupid. I'll never buy a car with that crap in it just like I'll never buy a car without a REAL clutch.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
oh yeah. I forgot you got rid of the X5. Nice move BTW. The A3s are siiiiiick.
We will have a new X5 in a year or two though ;) Just letting them get the bugs out of the re-design

How much more at your fingertips do you need? You stretch your arm out and make your adjustment. Having to take your eyes off the road to adjust your HVAC is simply stupid. I'll never buy a car with that crap in it just like I'll never buy a car without a REAL clutch.
It is the same reasn you probably have a HU you have to go to different screens to change bass treble etc rather than the good old knobs on OEM units in the 80's. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts