Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Monsoon will no longer recognize my PhatBox - my fault, but I'm wondering if there's an easy fix - VAG-Com perhaps?

Here's the story - 2003 Variant, I picked up a used PhatBox locally. It worked fine. Last weekend I tried to build a cable following the instructions at TDI forums so that I could actually fit this thing in the CD changer location in my Variant. I was using the 26 conductor method listed later in the instructional thread there, and unfortunately the pinouts for the mini-D connector are "upside-down" for the 9 conductor method, so I essentially wired all the pins in reverse order.

When I hooked the PhatBox up with my cable, nothing happened...drive would still spin up but the head unit wouldn't recognize the changer. I got on-line and eventually figured out what I'd done...so I swapped back to the stock cable and - nothing there either - head unit would no longer recognize the PhatBox. Both lights come on on the PhatBox and I can hear the drive spin up, so the unit itself seems fine...but as far as the head unit is concerned, it doesn't exist. I can still mount it on a PC and all the files are there and no errors are detected by the media manager.

I checked fuse 10 - not blown. My shop manual mentions a "code 07" in regards to the CD changer but it's a little vague on what it does...I don't have VAG-Com - any chance I just caused a fault in the head unit that I could reset with VAG-Com? Any other ideas? I'm really hoping I didn't fry this thing.

Thanks in advance...

- Brendan

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,311 Posts
Did you pull all fuses related to the radio? I think there is one more somewhere....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.