Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question all

I have a 2004 GLX and the Monsoon doesn't seem to sound all that good. My friend has a Jetta variant and the older Monsoon sounds awesome I am not sure why mine doesn't sound so great. Any thoughts?

Wood

·
Registered
290 Posts
If your head unit doesn't say "Monsoon" when you turn it on, then it may not be coded to output the proper Monsoon-appropriate EQ signal to the Monsoon "amp". If that is the case, the dealer can fix this through the diag port, and it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi all... Just discovered this forum this morning and happy to be a new member.

When I bought my '03 GLS I was also very excited about the Monsoon system as my friend's '01 wagon has a very nice sounding system. I had traded in my '97 Golf and had severely upgraded the system in that car, so was not prepared to settle for a wimpy sound system. Needless to say, the new Monsoon system was extremely weak. Well balanced, but as weak as most stock sound systems and I was very disappointed.

After many discussions with the dealership and lots of research, I finally broke down and had an additional, 200W Alpine amp installed, powering a 10" Alpine boxed sub. With the added power and bottom end, the balance is really nice and since the stock Monsoon system is, basically, mids and highs (at least in my car) it now sounds pretty amazing.

But I was bummed I had to add anything at all... :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
woodster76 said:
That is the main thing I notice is how weak the bass is. Actually, it almost sounds as though it is distorted.

Wood
I believe that is due to the fact that the included amp just isn't enough power for the system. Low power = distortion.
Adding 200 additional watts allows for the cab speakers to run at lower volume, so the sound is much nicer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I know my wife's '04 NB Monsoon sounds a lot better than my '02 Passat. I don't know if it's the speaker placement or what but the highs are crisper and the bass is tighter.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I don't have any problems with my Monsoon. Guidoracer said it right, if your head unit doesn't say Monsoon then it needs to be taken care of at the dealer. This topic has been discussed before and that seemed like the solution to the problem.... good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine says Monsoon when I start it so I know that's not the problem. I have heard that before though to add a sub and additional amp. I am going to have to go with the na's on this. I don't believe it is a very great sounding system. Yes General Motors is to blame for the Monsoon. They used to put it in the Pontiac Grand Prixs I believe.

Wood

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 2004 GLS, and within five days of delivery, I pulled my trusty ol' JVC KD-SH99 MP3 head unit from my old car and installed in it the Passat. I had originally planned to wire in an amp, as well, but I ended up going with a Metra harness to send the speaker-level signal to the Monsoon amp. It sounded a bit better than stock, especially with more control over EQ (the JVC has a pseudo shelving EQ built-in), but I still wasn't happy with the bass response. So I pulled out an old (very, very old) 8" Clarion powered sub tube Bazooka clone out of the garage and installed it, running a set of RCA wires from the sub out of the head unit to the trunk. Even an underpowered tube way back in the trunk made a huge difference. I was able to tweak the EQ so that the door speakers aren't overloaded with the tube picking up the lower frequencies.

If you want to stick with the stock head unit, but want to add some bass with minimal hassle, I suggest looking at one of the Bazooka units. There are plenty of write-ups on this board on how to wire a powered sub in, either via a line-out converter (LOC) or by tapping off the speaker wires in the trunk.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, either here or in the Mobile Electronics forum.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I did the 100W Bazooka and it made a world of difference. Just make sure you wire it into the wires coming out of the amp to the rear speakers .. the headunit output is to low.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.