Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001.5 1.8t with Monsoon.
One of my friends wants to sell me a 10" sub and amp for $60. Both are in really good condition.
What is a good way to hook it up considering the factory amp is already there?
I'm assuming I should run the sub and amp independently (power wise) and then connect the sub to the head unit... But I've also never done any sound system work.

Any positive input would be great!

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,149 Posts
The Monsoon system makes things... complicated. Generally, it's best to (if making changes or additions) strip it out entirely and start over.

Monsoon is bi-amped, meaning each of the eight speakers (4x woofer, 4x tweeter) has it's own amp. The external amp is driven by a speaker-level, not line-level input. There's also a "virtual subwoofer" function, where the rear woofers receive additional low frequencies. Then, the amp is matched to the speakers, so you really have to change them together. Neither the speakers nor the amp are truly linear.

If you just want to add subs and amps, about the only way is to tap the speaker level output between the head unit and the Monsoon amp. Then you'll need to split that signal, and (depending on the amp) may need a speaker-level to line-level converter, and/or a crossover. The result won't really be "high fidelity" (the frequency response curve will probably look like a roller coaster) - but you will get more bass, and may like the result.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
If the amp accepts speaker level inputs, then it's simple. If it doesn't, all you need to add is a line output converter. If you look at the stickys at the top of the mobile elex. part of the forum, ALL the info you need to know is there.

·
Registered
2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS Manual 1.8L
37 Posts
The Monsoon system makes things... complicated. Generally, it's best to (if making changes or additions) strip it out entirely and start over.

Monsoon is bi-amped, meaning each of the eight speakers (4x woofer, 4x tweeter) has it's own amp. The external amp is driven by a speaker-level, not line-level input. There's also a "virtual subwoofer" function, where the rear woofers receive additional low frequencies. Then, the amp is matched to the speakers, so you really have to change them together. Neither the speakers nor the amp are truly linear.

If you just want to add subs and amps, about the only way is to tap the speaker level output between the head unit and the Monsoon amp. Then you'll need to split that signal, and (depending on the amp) may need a speaker-level to line-level converter, and/or a crossover. The result won't really be "high fidelity" (the frequency response curve will probably look like a roller coaster) - but you will get more bass, and may like the result.
I know this is from 2007, but can someone please elaborate on what this user means by, "tap the speaker level output"? I am about to embark on a sound upgrade myself but this wording is completely foreign to me and I so won't continue until I know what this Monsoon sound system is all about. Also, where are these amps located? The only amps I know about are the big fat ones I used back in HS when I was in a cover band. Lol. Thanks.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,197 Posts
He meant tap into the positive and negative speaker wires for left and right rear to install a hi-lo converter known as an LOC, or Line Output Converter. Something like this

If you want to make the single most drastic improvement to the sound quality, replace the radio with a quality aftermarket radio like a Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc. It will sound 100% better as long as your speakers are in good shape. Just need a wiring harness and and antenna adapter. find what you need at Crutchfield, then buy there or shop around.

If you do that and still want bass, then buy an amplifier and a sub, then get it installed. No LOC needed if pairing with an aftermarket radio. LOCs are only if you want to add an amplifier to a stock radio that does not have RCA outputs.

Reactions: Sweaty BumbleBee

·
Registered
2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS Manual 1.8L
37 Posts
He meant tap into the positive and negative speaker wires for left and right rear to install a hi-lo converter known as an LOC, or Line Output Converter. Something like this

If you want to make the single most drastic improvement to the sound quality, replace the radio with a quality aftermarket radio like a Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc. It will sound 100% better as long as your speakers are in good shape. Just need a wiring harness and and antenna adapter. find what you need at Crutchfield, then buy there or shop around.

If you do that and still want bass, then buy an amplifier and a sub, then get it installed. No LOC needed if pairing with an aftermarket radio. LOCs are only if you want to add an amplifier to a stock radio that does not have RCA outputs.
Thanks so much. What you said was such a breath of fresh air for me. Thank you thank you thank you

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,197 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts