Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks. I'm bout ready to start installing my amp for my front comps and rear sub.

Was looking at my Bentley manual to get all the colors for the speaker wires and wires to the amp straight (I'm going to use the existing wires).

Wires TO the speakers are all clear and the colors do correspond to what I saw when I replaced the OE speakers with my CDT comps.

But the wires from the HU to the Monsoon amp is what is confusing. My Bentley manual labels the pins with " speaker (or line out if equiped with Monsoon amplifier)" for all 8 pins.

Maybe I'm just stupid... but this tells me that the outputs from the HU are line level and not speaker level.

Supposedly the head unit has to be programmed by the VW shop under circumstances. Is it possible that they program it one way to be used with a Monsoon amp and a different way when used without a Monsoon amp??

http://www.continentalimports.com/acc_cable_out.html

This link shows several Blaupunkt adapters. I believe that the top one... the 4-Channel Preamp Output... is the one recommended? (I emailed them.. they don't know. It's supposedly for 10 pin connectors and the HU is 8 pin?? At any rate.. there doesn't appear to be any sort of hi level to low level adapter included in that. Just wires and plugs. (Unlike the High Level to Preamp Harness... which clearly shows some sort of adapter in the middle of the wires)

Can anyone help me here?? Is the output from the HU high level or not?? I don't know how to measure it. And which adapter do I need?? :???: :???: :???:

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Do it the easy way, and do the speakers first. When you put the new speakers in write down the speaker wire colors. The polarity won't matter as long as you use the same pin locations for positive and negative on all of the speakers.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe my question was too long! :lol:

I know the colors. That isn't the question.

The question is, is the output from the Monsoon HU high level (speaker level).. or is it low level (Line level... like the manual states.)

If it is high level, then I will attach the appropriate wires to the amp where it says "high level. If "low level"... then I'll somehow attach some RCA plugs to the wires instead and plug then into the RCA inputs on the amp.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
oooohhhhhh.....the HU has speaker level outputs. But don't rush to use the speaker level inputs so fast. Disconnect the inputs to the Monsoon amp and crank up your favrite CD and measure the Voltage swing at the connector. If youhave an amp that can take a lot of Voltage at the RCA inputs you can just solder on RCA ends and plug right into your amp. I use to do this trick in Ford SUVs with the premium systems (Explorer, Expedition, Excursion, etc.) and it worked great.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul.

The Bentley manual specifically states "line out if equiped with Monsoon amp"

I'm not an ET... so how do I measure it?

I've got an old multi meter somewhere.. but all I know how to do with it is measure AC/DC with it.

I suppose that I can also just turn down the input gain at the amp to the min and try that. It's an Infinity.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You set the MM on AC Voltage and connect the leads to one channel output of the HU and disconnect the other 3. Then turn up the volume and look at the meter. The reading will be the peak VAC output of the HU. If the highest number you see is lower than what the amp will take you're all good. If it's over what the amp will take use the speaker level inputs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.