Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I think my cd changer crapped out on me. It runs a check for the cds to see if they're in there but when it tries to read, I get a cd error all the time. Is this because it's dirty or is it because the laser is messed up?

What can I do to fix this? I don't think I have money to buy a new one but, I'd like to have a diy session on this to see if I can get it up and running again. I tried getting some rubbing alcohol on the lens but it seems to be covered by the metal frame and it's hard to get to.

When I put 6 cds or even 1, it says it's there... except it gives an error each time. Also, I thought 'hey, i'm a doofus, maybe i put it in the wrong way..' well, no such luck.

As of right now, it's pretty clean in there since i took one of those dust o2 cans and blew all the dust out.

:confused:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
say it with me "cd lens cleaners are almost as big a scam as the turbonator". it's dead, repair it for roughly $100 if you can even find some one who can work on it or buy a new one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happened to me

I had the same problem, had to buy a new one from ebay, Super easy to change out, I did it on my own and I am a middle aged female geek. Do you have an iPOD? if so maybe you should get a new HU and give up on CD's, costs more, but if you become an MP3 person you may end up there anyway. You have an opportunity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts