$30 for coolant temp sensor (DIY)
$1 for windshield washer res. (DIY)
$300 for two upper control arms

Now going to have
radiator replacement
two upper control arms
Totally >2000 for one year
+ oil change........
Wow.....bad timing...well not really I have had to shell out the same amount. But I have yet to get the TB done :banghead: If you have a tip change the ATF and filter.....there another 100.00

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
pson said:
... If you have a tip change the ATF and filter.....there another 100.00
That's the DIY rate, materials only. If you outsource the labor, budget an additional $180.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i budget about $1000-1500 a year for the passat, whether it's maintenance or repairs...it'll get spent.

·
Registered
26,493 Posts
Sounds about normal for a 6-7 year old Passat with 70K on it.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I must have spent at least $2500 on my car the first year I got it.

Not including mods :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
In the quick year since i bought my passat, i have spent -

650 pounds-intercooler
100 pounds-Blitz Dual SBC Boost controller
100 pounds-Oil Breather kit
500 pounds-Star performance re-map
400 pounds-MOT/Brakes and tyres
50 pounds - boost gauge
150 pounds-MP3 head unit
100 pounds - DVD Player

It all adds up to about - 2050 pounds (UK)

·
Registered
369 Posts
yeh sounds about right, I picked up a '01 GLX V6 5spd w/85k and had about
$1,500 done in 'maintenance'
plus almost all of your stated 'DIY' items as well all within 12 months of ownership. I also bought complete control arm kit with TRE's and
a spring/shock combo kit as well which was another $1,200 or so.

The first items($1,200) were insurance on not having accurate maintenance records, springs and shock (orig) are going as well and control arm kit on hand
for when those bow out as well. already replaced TRE's -DIY

so....NOT including mods Im at around $2k on replacement maintenance, and another $2 on mods (rims - stereo- amp/sub-HID looks-tint)

but I still think I am 'ahead' of the curve b/c I have a fully maintenaced car that *should* be good to go for awhile and records of maintenance to boot, plus I got the car for a great price considering.
FWIW I would have spent another $2-$3k anyway on same car locally so I think I cam out better this way , but at around 80k or so these things are pretty common, btw, I'm @ 112k happy motoring now :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
the first year i spend probably $700bucks, then the 2nd year i cracked my oilpan and thats when my wallet started getting light. I did the suspension, chip, dv, brakes, n75, blizzak ws-50s, and minor interior stuff. This year i ordered a K04, a Neuspeed rear sway, new wheels, new tires, 2more tires when the low pro's got punctured, samco silicon intake hose, neuspeed exhaust w/ DP, new front rotors and pads, and sideskirts and a front valance + paint. I think my car is getting to its modding "end", in the spring im just getting a FMIC, k04 software, an adjustable FPR, and hopefully thats IT! Im not toying with the engine anymore, if i do buy anything after that it would be Recaro front seats, and bigger fuel injectors depending on the k04 software. The rest of my money will go to the bank or for maint. on the car, i dont want to add up how much i spent on it, i might cry. All the work is DIY too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts