Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought... I'd like to make the front and rear VW emblems glossy black instead of chrome. Any suggestions on how to do this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, just paint it!! Just be sure to lightly sand the polished surface and use a good primer before you spray and give it a least three coats. Oh and make sure you remove from the car first.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, sounds pretty easy... But, that was my next question. How do I remove them without hurting anything?

Thanks!

·
Banned
708 Posts
i painted mine black but i first seperated into the three pieces (the chrome VW, a rubber seal, and a plastic back piece) which i probably shouldnt have done becuase i couldnt get the the 3 pices back togther like i had originally thought so i now only have the VW section secured to the car with 3M tape. all i did to paint the logo was sand and then paint several coats

·
Registered
96 Posts
OakHillVariant said:
capone1153 said:
is it possble to just take the rear emblum off?
You can, but there is a big round depression in the trunk/hatch metal the emblem fits in. If you don't fill the depression, it looks no-so-good.

In these trying times, perhaps this emblem would make a nice replacement:

From http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/emblems.html
ha yeah that is a good replacement, but btw who do i fill the depression?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What type of paint should be used? This kinda freaks me out - definitely something I would probably screw up royally.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Midnight said:
What type of paint should be used? This kinda freaks me out - definitely something I would probably screw up royally.

you and me both. if i do everyone on my street will know it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
For the back, just paint it like folks have recommended above.

For the front, you probably don't want to paint your emblem because you'll just end up getting rock chips in the paint and want to repaint it. You could do what I did and buy a black plastic emblem like this that is supposed to fit a MkIV Golf. To make it fit my B5 I just broke off all the tabs on the back of the emblem, then stuck it on in place of my chrome one with some double sided tape. It is the same exact size as the B5 emblem, just different attachment tabs on the back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
velo,

Do you have any pics of your grille with the black emblem?

Please share!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
you have to be really careful removing the embelm. U need a really thin flat head covered with a thin cloth to protect the paint and very careful go around the edges and it will pop right off. to reinstall it either use strong 3M tape or some other sort of adhesive.

·
Registered
411 Posts
1Point8T said:
Did you remove the emblem to paint the back? Looks great! :thumbup: I'm thinking of doing the same.
Thanks! I like it too, a subtle little mod. Most people never notice.

Yes, I removed it. Use dental floss or fishing line to cut through the foam adhesive between the emblem and the trunk, then remove the excess adhesive on both the emblem and trunklid by rubbing with your fingers. Then separate the "VW" from the black disk by cutting or dremeling the connecting tabs. At this point, you can sand the "VW" and paint it as you like; I left mine alone. Sand the disk, clean it carefully, and apply 2-3 thin layers of Colorado Red followed by 3-4 thin layers of clearcoat, allowing time to dry between each coat. Reattach the "VW" to the disk with hot glue, allow to dry, then put 3M emblem adhesive on the emblem and stick it back in place.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I EXACTO KNIFE MINES
AND TOOK
OFF A FEW PIECES TO MAKE THE VW = X
LOOKS NICE
AND I SPRAYED IT BLACK TO MATCH THE CAR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts