Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more for people who autocross, but have you ever thought about modifying the steering so that the wheels turn sharper with the same amount of, or less, steering wheel movement? Like some how decrease the lock to lock. I would assume there are gears of some sort in a steering box..can you switch those out? Is it cost prohibitive?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: Modifying Turning Radius? (ChkYaHead)

Question: do you think turning tighter would help you? I don't think I know of anyone who's done this. If you're turning tighter (without sliding), and staying at the point of adhesion, you're gonna need to go slower...so why not take the turn a little wider, and faster?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Very costly modification as you need a different ratio of the rack and pinion gear. Not worth it for the whale of a car that we have.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Modifying Turning Radius? (powerslide23)

OK..didn't know if it was something we could just open up and swap out a gear.

I thought the less effort it takes me to turn, the better. As it is now I have to take my hands off the wheel so I can turn a 90 degree turn.

·
Registered
191 Posts

So you're not asking to modify the turning radius.

You're asking to modify the steering ratio.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Modifying Turning Radius? (brianj1591)

I too would like to know about modifying the steering ratio, turning the steering wheel less to make the tires turn more. It would make driving around all them slow cars on the freeway easyer.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Re: Modifying Turning Radius? (neisius)

Maybe a rack from an S4 ??

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Re: Modifying Turning Radius? (VWGUY4EVER)

I have to admitt, I've though of it myself. But when a rack costs +$850... eewwww.

I do know, although am not sure from which we could borrow, that Audi, and VW do have tighter racks for use in their 'tuned' vehicles...

Hey Rian... how many turns lock to lock in your S4?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Any updates on this? Anyone do the S4 swap? My 2000 has a HUGE turning radius, much larger than any of the other cars I've owned by far (190E, Maxima, Q45). It's so bad I can't even do a U turn on a normal 2-lane (1 each way) road. Look at this picture - the steering wheel was turned _all_ the way to the right before taking it:

This is really bugging me, by far the biggest gripe I have about the car (the only significant other is the retardedness of the cruise control um.. control). Probably not worth it $$$-wise, but it's nice to know it can be done (can it?).

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
MasTRE said:
Look at this picture - the steering wheel was turned _all_ the way to the right before taking it:
Tell us more about the backwards steering rack you got. :lol:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey, what can I say - sometimes I'm dyslexic.. Or is that ic-dys-lex? :)

*OR*

I did it all myself, it was a 2-day job - all I had to do was add a reversing gear, but it was a real bitch getting to it :lol:

·
Registered
111 Posts
there are add-on boxes available that will do this, most race shops (summit, jegs) carry them I think. I don't know what they're called off the top of my head

I know in my road race car, putting in a smaller diameter steering wheel made a huge difference

·
Registered
869 Posts
stealthx32 said:
MasTRE said:
Look at this picture - the steering wheel was turned _all_ the way to the right before taking it:
http://ga11ery.mastre.com/albums/00passatwagon/031218_1643_29.sized.jpg[img][/quote]

Tell us more about the backwards steering rack you got. :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, it must be backwards cause I have the same car in sedan and my turning radius is very good. Better than a 2002 Maxima that I drove the other week. Had to adjust that car to get into parking spots that I would never have had a problem with the Passat.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Doesn't make any sense for it to differ from Sedan to Wagon, but I'm confident it's not backwards and that it has an _extremely_ wide turning radius.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Get one of those mexican chain link steering wheels. You be turning in no time. :poke:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. What do I look for, the Cheech & Chong special?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts