Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
A quick glance tells me they are replacing flap-type MAFS with hot-wire type. We already have a hot-wire type.

But as a general note, a replacement MAF assy, even if it is more "efficient", would have to have a reprogrammed ECU to make significant HP gains.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rusty said:
A quick glance tells me they are replacing flap-type MAFS with hot-wire type. We already have a hot-wire type.

But as a general note, a replacement MAF assy, even if it is more "efficient", would have to have a reprogrammed ECU to make significant HP gains.
Thanks,
by reprograming ECU you mean reprograming chip? Over here in EU and in Moscow as well we have companies that are specialized in reprograming ECU in "real time" while engine is running, so you can "choose" where you want gain in hp and torque(low,mid,high revs) it is not usual "take it or leave it" chip sale.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Nenad said:
Rusty said:

Thanks,
by reprograming ECU you mean reprograming chip? Over here in EU and in Moscow as well we have companies that are specialized in reprograming ECU in "real time" while engine is running, so you can "choose" where you want gain in hp and torque(low,mid,high revs) it is not usual "take it or leave it" chip sale.
You car correct (mostly). What you would be reprogramming, is the voltage curve for the new MAF. Which is really just a conversion table so the computer know's what value (in g/s) to assign to the particular voltage the MAF is at (based on the flow).

Should be considerably easier than reprogramming fuel and ignition maps.

That and sourcing an sensor that operates in the specified voltage range, are really the only two things you need. It's involved, but not rocket science by any means. While your at it, you may as well increase the diameter of the MAF (the one on the V6 is the smallest part of the intake).

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pass-variant said:
Nenad said:
Rusty said:

Thanks,
You car correct (mostly). What you would be reprogramming, is the voltage curve for the new MAF. Which is really just a conversion table so the computer know's what value (in g/s) to assign to the particular voltage the MAF is at (based on the flow).

Should be considerably easier than reprogramming fuel and ignition maps.

That and sourcing an sensor that operates in the specified voltage range, are really the only two things you need. It's involved, but not rocket science by any means. While your at it, you may as well increase the diameter of the MAF (the one on the V6 is the smallest part of the intake).
Thanks PV,
does that mean that we can change it for some other, bigger one (MAF,of course), if yes what one...from Audi's or W8 VW? Like You I have BMC and I am trying to "squeeze last drop" out of it.
It seems that you are becoming my personal adviser on MAF and air flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts