Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trawling posts here there and everywhere, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be many of us in the UK with mods on their B5

There's a lot of US guys with some heavily modified cars and there appears to be a lot of knowledge there too, but here, pah, I can't find more than 4 places, people etc etc.

So, any guys modded their UK spec b5(.5)s?

Pics?

Also, I'm looking to replace my factory speakers, I can't be ar£ed hacking off rivets etc, so may pop down to my local shop and get them to fit them, any ideas, anyone rate one company over another?

Cheers in advance

Sam

·
Registered
606 Posts
yes they're aren't that many UK members here.

This site is biased towards US members, as they obviously make up the majority !!

I'm picking up my 51 plate B5.5 TDI 130 sport estate on Monday. I have a few plans for it, but nothing that invloves any major spending, as I don't have the funds with 2 kids / mortgage etc.

I'm having the "Euro" bump strips colour coded like the later spec models before I pick it up. It'll be de-badged after i pick it up. I'm shortly to purchase a kamei grille as that is my favourite. That will get sprayed along with a de-lock for the drivers door. I'm also looking at fitting 15mm spacers to the rear. I'm getting the chrome boot strip in the group buy too. I'd also like to retro fit cruise control before next year is possible.

In the long term, i'm looking at getting it revo'd, but not for a year / two.

Although it already has a factory tint rear of the B-pillar, i don't feel this is dark enough as I currently have a 35% tint all round on my Bora:

I would like to add a 20% tint rear of the B-pillar once i've investigated it.

I would love to add 17" alloys, but don't think money will allow, unless i find a bargain !

I don't knwo much about ICE i'm afraid, I tend to find the OEM system ok sound wise, but good luck in your search / fit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I could be interested in mods if had time and spare cash.
My Passat was a replacement for a company A6 when we changed car policy - opted out of it to save tax and buy my own car.
Car is a workhorse for business travelling, moving wife, 2 kids & 2 dogs about, not to mention sacks of horse feed, building materials, etc.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just took delivery of some new ICE, Blaupunkt LA MP74 HU and the 5-disc in dash changer. Have to fit them after work, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas, clock watching....tick tock :thumbdow:

Took it along to Halfords (crap UK "carbitz" store) to get them to remove the factory stuff, the lad manged to wedge some radio keys in the HU. A trip to the local VW dealer later and I'm now the proud owner of a Halfords apology letter and gift tokens...wahey!

As for mods, I too have ordered a Kamei grill, but that's it so far, I want to keep it stock looking, but with a few signs to show that, yes, I will go faster than that crappy Nova with a bean-can exhaust so don't race me, child :D

Cheers for the replies, nice to know there are some fellow UK drivers there :thumbup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeah Halfords are very much just a furry dice shop these days.
Only buy from them when I want something in a hurry and can't be bothered to go elsewhere.
Don't know what they think of their customers though - last week I bought some windscreen washer fluid and some spotty kid asked me if I needed someone to fit it for me ? Fit water ? really. I didn't know how to answer that one politely.

Dont forget to remove any cassette/disk from your old head unit before you pull it out - right pain to connect it up again like I did fitting my Clarion to replace the Gamma.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The main difference between here and the US is that over here the passat is seen as either:

company car
family car
taxi

So no market for aftermarket parts, apart from VW stuff by Votex or oettinger but very expensive.

The states its just a general car that has a good following (just like the golf here)and tuning scene, plenty of parts available.

You can find no end of things for your car in the US but shipping and import taxes make it prohibitive.

Plenty of stuff available from Germany on ebay etc, but all the listings are in German (which i don't understand).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hello to the other UK members....... There is a uk passat web site , but it is rather quiet on there, not a patch on this site
http://www.passatowners.com/po/index.htm

Your right, there is a lack of passat stuff for us modders out there unless your prepared to import items in (i shipped my vestetec foglights in from the states ) & yes they stung me with import taxes even though the lamps were not made in the US !
P.S. I just changed my alarm LED to a blue one & put an extra one on the passenger side..... looks wicked at night .... I recomend this mod 8)

·
Registered
657 Posts
The import taxes are high and keep going up every month i think upto a certain level, its due to the stupid trade war the EU is having with the USA, something to do with the american sellers/exporters getting subsidies from their government for exporting goods worldwide, so it makes stuff cheaper from the US than EU, for us, the EU demanded that it be stopped, the US said no, so to deter EU citizens from buying from the US they imposed some stupid import tax increases. :crazy:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mycarsavw wrote:

As for mods, I too have ordered a Kamei grill

Can i ask where you ordered it from and for how much ?

The only UK place I could find it available from is www.carstylingdirect.com and that was for £115 delivered.
Gutted, I got mine from http://www.kamei.co.uk/products/grills.htm and paid more than that :mad:

P.S. I just changed my alarm LED to a blue one & put an extra one on the passenger side
Blue LED sounds cool, being a dunce, point me in the right direction for parts, etc, cheers!

And as for import taxes, bleugh, best mate owns a haulage company, I prefer not to get him started on that topic!

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I also added a Hyberbright Blue LED to replace the existing one in the drivers door. It is especially effective, just don't look directly into it !!!

I wasn't confident enough to remove the door panels / dash to route a wire to the passenger door to have another LED in the passenger door. Anwway the drivers one is so bright that I don't think you need another one. It reflects in both door mirrors and is visible, even with a 35% tint.

I got mine from Foxy on www.uk-mkivs.net although I have also seen them for sale on E-bay. To fit it you will need to remove the old one, and then solder the new wires together et voila !!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try these mods for size. 2.7 quad cam 30v Bi Turbo motor for starters. KKK KO4 turbo's. ATMO heads. The list is a little long but check out VW Driver last month it was on the front cover??

Neal

·
Registered
606 Posts
Neal, is that the 2.7 Bi T Audi lump from the A6 etc ??

Must be pushing out some power. 270bhp + ? and warrant some insurance premium !!

I didn't see VW driver mag. Do you have any of your own pics you could post up for us to drool over ?

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I knew I should have got that slightly more expensive 1.8T in custom vomit yellow. :puke:

Being British and refined, I opted for the 2.0 NA, damn damn damn :mad:

I now want a turbo

·
Registered
657 Posts
marc uk said:
Neal, is that the 2.7 Bi T Audi lump from the A6 etc ??

Must be pushing out some power. 270bhp + ? and warrant some insurance premium !!

I didn't see VW driver mag. Do you have any of your own pics you could post up for us to drool over ?
Marc, i have the whole article scanned on my pc, so if you want a copy emailing (or anyone else) just say so.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
606 Posts
mycarsavw said:
Being British and refined, I opted for the 2.0 NA, damn damn damn :mad:

I now want a turbo
LOL is that the 8v 115 bhp or 20v 130 bhp version.

I've just got rid of my 2.0 8v Bora, it has to be said, it is near to the worst engine in the range, if only i knew what i do know when i bought it !!

I did consider a 1.8T for the B5.5, but could not afford the fuel bills !! Settled for the TDI 130 as a sensible compromise, hopefully chipping to 170 / 180 bhp and 300 lb ft in a year or so's time.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL is that the 8v 115 bhp or 20v 130 bhp version.
Thankfully, i did some homework and got the 20v 130hp version. It pulls, but it's just not a T. I looked at the TDIs and was convinced by an owner mate of mine that they weren't all that.

I then had a go of hers, (1.8 auto diesel estate) and saw why, it's a lump (obviously)

Next time....next time....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.