Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a great book: Modern Car Technology by Jeff Daniels.

This book explains how a modern car works: variable valve timing, ABS, 4-wheel steering, ESP, etc.. More importantly, it gives reasons why the current implementations bested competing technologies in the marketplace and why you don't see you favorite dream technologies on every car (it is not always the cost).

I consider myself very knowlegeable about cars and I never felt like the author over-simplified anything. The author writes that he intended this book to be informative for car enthusiasts, and wanted to keep it below the level where equations were needed. I think he did a very good job. There are many illustrations and excellent CAD images from car manufacturers.

This book is published by Haynes (tha car repair manual publishers). I checked it out from the library, but I think it would be worth buying. If your local library doesn't have a copy you can get it through inter-library loan.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=11047&langId=-1
:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts