Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 AEB 1.8T @ 95,000 miles

As many of you know I recently replaced my valve cover gasket for I had oil leaking into the spark plug chambers. This cut down a lot of my burning oil problem - from the exhaust. However, there is still some smoke puffing out.. not from the exhaust but the engine bay this time.

Today I took a listen after driving with the hood up. At idle, the cam area (back of block, nearest firewall) there was a very audible ticking. There were also some puffs of smoke coming from just below this area. Very windy so tough to pinpoint. I am sure it was right below...

Note : just checked the oil and oil consumption is huge! :mad: :( :nervous:

Seems like I got a cam problem? Agree? Tough/expensive to replace? Did I catch this early? Is this a problem which easily escalates? :???:

Thanks to each an everyone one of you for reading and posting. :thumbup:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
A bad cam seal? Its possible. There is a rear timing chain on the back of the block that connects the 2 cams together. Its possible that the new gasket isnt seated properly, allowing high pressure oil to seep out. Id check that gasket again, clean the area, and make sure that the items are sitting flush.

Keep us posted.

Steve

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen for your input. I will clean the area up as well as check for any gross errors when I replaced the VCG. I only mention the cam seal cause 1) it was making a lot of tikka tikka noises .. could really hear it moving which is very unusual and 2) a few recent posts talk about oil seepage through a bad cam seal.

Again I will take and apply your recommendations. Expect a posting soon with an update. Losing waaaaaay too much oil! Like there is a hole I forgot to plug up somewhere... :crazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
PassatVariantPunk
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing