Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tinted my tails last summer - but then took a trip from Montreal to Virginia Beach - and got worried about having the family on a long trip - with the potential of being pulled over for non standard tail lights. So I took the tint off and went back to stock bright freakin' red !!!

Hated the look of the big red lights on the back of my '99 1.8T black passat - and still hate the look now.

So, this weekend, pulled everything off again - in a snow storm ( neighbours really think I am retarded ) and re-did the entire tinting process again.

The car looks great - but find myself looking around on the road for any cops and expecting to be pulled over. The tails are dark - but the lights shine through with no problem....obviously not quite as brite as standard. Also did the extra brake light mod so that there is more brake lights on the tails when I do hit the brakes.

Paranoia ?? Freak ??

Anyone else have these dilemmas when modifying their cars ??

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not real worried about the time it takes to add or remove the tint. I read your post, and the car looks great. When tinted - mine look about as dark as yours.

Have you had any issues with the locals ?? Are your lights still tinted ??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My experiance with cops is that for minor fix it infractions they will not bother. I have had my front plate off since the second week I got my car, no cop has ever bothered me for it, and I have stopped at plenty of intersections facing cops. I also have white flashing turn signals on my front and side turn signals. No problems there either. Cops don't want to deal with the paperwork involved for soemthing so minor. Now if you get pulled over for speeding thats a different story. Cops will write tickets for things they notice while you are already pulled over, as it is just another word to write down on the ticket. Then again, I have been pulled over and I don't have a front plate, despite the fact that he pulled me over and had me stop behind him, and had to approach me from the front, he didn't notice my plate missing.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Yeah you would get pulled over in a heartbeat here in VA Beach :nervous:

Hey next time you visit, let us know so we can meet up with ya :wink:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Bill I live in BC where if you get a ticket and don't fix it your denighed insurance when it comes due. I too am a little paranoid but more if I an in other small BC towns .. they get a wire in their butt over *outsider* cars and mods. I have 35/20% tint and *no* tint is allowed on the front door windows. Here in town no one bothers me at all. Last fall I went to my sisters place out of town I wasn't in town 10 minutes and got a ticket for the tint. Fortunatly the local police were lazy and didn't want to look to see if I removed it ( I didn't). I also run blue side marker bulbs and Blue City lights and blue/white low beams with no bother locally.

I entered a car show a few months later in my sisters town .. cops were walking through the show looking at cars and made a comment to me about the tint. A few of us approached the people that put the show on and said that cops busting entrants is a good way to get the show boycotted. 3/4 of the US cars that come up are illegal in BC. They went after the cop .. he was a newbie on a reputation trip. Nothing came of it.

Usually up here unless it is a mechanical or major safety issue they don't bother out of towners.

Can the tails on a 03 be removed and self tinted? I just don't want to tint over my backup light portion as I have to back 100+ feet down a driveway.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the Nightshades aerosol - it is a translucent paint, that gets darker with every thin coat you apply. Several coats of clear after that - some wet sanding, and polishing.....and voila - tinted tails.

Not that it is that easy to remove - but where there is a will - there is a way. Elbow grease is still a great tool.

One note though, since you should lightly sand your taillights prior to applying this product - once it is removed, the taillights will have a dullness to them.

This was remedied by simply applying a few coats of clear once the nightshades was removed - again wet sanding and then polishing....factory tails nice and shiny.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i was wondering...could you use the pantyhose and spray through it then remove the hose? kind of like the sunroof on some cars? (i don't have a sunroof so i'm not sure if the passat has this) kind of a teeny honeycomb look. would darken but still let a lot of light through.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
oh yea, does this spray on outside or inside?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts