Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
welcome... passat wont be quick unless u drop about 10-15k into it...now it can be "faster"....

start with a chip, best hp for ur money.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
as mrclumsysgv said, chip best hp for your money, then downpipe,cat-back,wheels and coilovers, the mod list keeps going..

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i have to suggest different approach.

first and foremost, is the engine in good shape? do you have any history on maintenance? has it had frequent oil changes using synthetic oil 502 approved.

if you are unsure about this stuff, don't start modding the engine. perhaps run a cycle of auto RX (google it and search here) then look into the timing belt and if it's been changed or not. again, if you're unsure, change it. it's a ticking bomb otherwise.

then, and only then would i suggest looking into chipping the engine. another good first mod is a boost gauge. again, search it out. browse the forum, read writeups in the info forum for ideas of things that go wrong. then enjoy your new B5.

welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure all of the maintanence has been kept up. I bought it from a retired couple that were the first owners and had towed it behind their motor home for a majority of the cars life. i will have to take a look at that timing belt soon though.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
quick and good? some suggestions:

Exterior:
Tint
Hella OEM HIDs
Clear Corners
Shark Fin Antenna
5-Brake Light Mod
Zender Style 3-Piece Spoiler
M3 Style Diffuser
Wetworks Custom Widebody Kit
Painted Carbon Fiber Hood
LED Turn Indicators
Custom Mounted Vestatec Fog Lights
Rear Back-Up Sensors

Suspension, Brakes & Wheels:
Stoptech Big Brake Kit
-ST-40 4-Piston Calipers
-13.3” (332mm) Two-Piece Slotted Rotors
Neuspeed Sofsport Springs
Neuspeed Grooved Bilstein Shocks
Forged lightweight 3-piece rims with lots of lip
Toyo RA1 Tires
Chas Lower Tie Bar
PureMS Strut Tower Bar
Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed 29mm Front Sway Bar
H&R 20MM Rear Wheel Spacers

Engine:
2.0L Euro-Spec Short Block
-JE Forged Pistons – 8.5:1 Compression Ratio
-Eurospec Forged Rods
APR Inconel Exhaust Manifold
Garrett gt2871r turbo
Custom Torque Tuning/GIAC Tuning
USRT injectors
Audi TT 225 MAF
Stage 3 clutch
Forge Race Diverter Valve
Custom FMIC
Random Tech High Flow Catalytic Converter
Custom 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust
GIAC ECU Chip
GIAC Flash Loader
Ignition Solutions Coil Packs
APEXi Power Intake Filter
PureMS Snub Mount
S4 Engine Mounts
R32 Oil Cooler
Spal Electronic Fan Kit

Interior & ICE:
Navigation
Screens on the visor, headrest, trunk
(4) 12" subs with custom FG enclosure incl amp, equilizer, cap, etc.
Wet Okole Seat Covers – Front and Rear
Isotta Leather Steering Wheel Wrap
Net Optic Aluminum Trim Kit
Monster Mats
Dashmat
Armrest Cup Holder
Steering Wheel Mounted Boost Gauge
Modified Homelink Visor
A-Pillar Mounted Gauges
-Oil Pressure
-Oil Temperature
-Voltmeter
Dietz 1412 NTSC Adapter for MFD
DVD Player
NB Sunglass Holder
Phatnoise Phatbox Digital Media Player
Greddy Turbo Timer
W8 Overhead Console

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
haha, not everyone has that kinda dough DPassat.

In my opinion, and most will agree with this, your first mod should be a combination of 3 things....

#1 -- Chip the Car (new software for the ECU)
Popular brands are GIAC and APR. You can click the links to go to the companies website to see if any shops in your area provide the chip software.

#2 -- Upgrade the Diverter Valve
This is a must when you get your car chipped. The stock diverter valve can't handle a chipped passat. Most people go with a diverter valve by companies like Forge, Hyperboost, and among others. If you dont have the cash for one of the nicer ones (which run $100-$150), you have another option. The Audi TT has a 1.8T engine as well that runs 225hp. The stock diverter valve in that car can handle a chipped Passat. You can get the Audi TT diverter valve at the dealer for around $40. Just say you want a "710N diverter valve, it's the stock one off the TT." Most all VW dealers will carry it. The only downfall about using the 710N diverter valve over the more expensive ones is that it is made out of plastic (like your stock one) and may break down the road.

#3 -- Replace Vacuum Hoses
Your car right now has braided vacuum hoses that are known to get a lot of leaks, especially under a car that is chipped. It is a good idea to replace your braided vacuum lines with silicone vacuum lines. You can get them in an assortment of colors in you prefer, I went red. You can order vacuum hose for around $20. I'd suggest getting 15' of hose, as that should be plenty for all your hoses. You can order this hose from websites like www.hightempsilicone.com, which is where most people get there's from.

So, overall your first mod should include 3 things; Chip, Diverter Valve, Replace Vacuum Hoses. This is a great start to modding your Passat and will increase your 150hp stock motor to anywhere from 180-200hp. A 30-50hp increase for around $600 total is not bad at all!

Good luck with everything and enjoy your Passat!

·
Registered
170 Posts
x 2...!!!

After having my T-belt, tensioner and water pump changed (as a precaution), I got the vac hoses replaced with silicone ones, a Forge 007 DV and went with the GIAC chip...!!! Definitely a very noticable improvement in performance!! Next came the wheels, tires, and some cosmetics --- suspension upgrades scheduled for next month and other stuff in the spring of '07. Had my B5.5 since May 06.

(Just wish I could get rid of that annoying turbo lag...)

haha, not everyone has that kinda dough DPassat.

In my opinion, and most will agree with this, your first mod should be a combination of 3 things....

#1 -- Chip the Car (new software for the ECU)
Popular brands are GIAC and APR. You can click the links to go to the companies website to see if any shops in your area provide the chip software.

#2 -- Upgrade the Diverter Valve
This is a must when you get your car chipped. The stock diverter valve can't handle a chipped passat. Most people go with a diverter valve by companies like Forge, Hyperboost, and among others. If you dont have the cash for one of the nicer ones (which run $100-$150), you have another option. The Audi TT has a 1.8T engine as well that runs 225hp. The stock diverter valve in that car can handle a chipped Passat. You can get the Audi TT diverter valve at the dealer for around $40. Just say you want a "710N diverter valve, it's the stock one off the TT." Most all VW dealers will carry it. The only downfall about using the 710N diverter valve over the more expensive ones is that it is made out of plastic (like your stock one) and may break down the road.

#3 -- Replace Vacuum Hoses
Your car right now has braided vacuum hoses that are known to get a lot of leaks, especially under a car that is chipped. It is a good idea to replace your braided vacuum lines with silicone vacuum lines. You can get them in an assortment of colors in you prefer, I went red. You can order vacuum hose for around $20. I'd suggest getting 15' of hose, as that should be plenty for all your hoses. You can order this hose from websites like www.hightempsilicone.com, which is where most people get there's from.

So, overall your first mod should include 3 things; Chip, Diverter Valve, Replace Vacuum Hoses. This is a great start to modding your Passat and will increase your 150hp stock motor to anywhere from 180-200hp. A 30-50hp increase for around $600 total is not bad at all!

Good luck with everything and enjoy your Passat!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First-time modification: upgrading the suspension

quick and good? some suggestions:

Suspension, Brakes & Wheels:
Stoptech Big Brake Kit
-ST-40 4-Piston Calipers
-13.3” (332mm) Two-Piece Slotted Rotors
Neuspeed Sofsport Springs
Neuspeed Grooved Bilstein Shocks
Forged lightweight 3-piece rims with lots of lip
Toyo RA1 Tires
Chas Lower Tie Bar
PureMS Strut Tower Bar
Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed 29mm Front Sway Bar
H&R 20MM Rear Wheel Spacers
Newbie here: I have a '99 B5 GLS with about 115K miles. I have no mechanical knowledge base on this stuff. I hope to hold onto it for another couple of years until the new Jetta TDI comes out. I would like to upgrade my suspension for a firmer ride, but I don't know if it's worth putting the $$$ in at this point, and I don't know if I can make worthwhile improvements for around $500. I would have a mechanic do the work for me.

Can I do anything worthwhile (shocks+springs+sway bar?) for that amount of money? I suppose I would also have to upgrade my tires from 15" to 16" too.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the shocks and springs would make the biggest difference, suspension wise. also, performance (summer) tires would help in the handling, perhaps larger wheels. 17s are generally a good comprimise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts