Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, we've had a tremendous amount of debate over the best oil for our engines. Years ago, we debated whether the manual really meant we needed to use synthetic oil. Then we argued whether we could extend our OCI if we did use synthetic oil. We harangued over what "synthetic" actually meant - and lamented Castrol dumbing down the definition to include Group III oils. But we were always able to say Mobil 1 and German Castrol were Group IV oils.

Now, along comes this thread on BITOG:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=751041&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

that insinuates that M1 is now a Group III oil with PAO/esters added. I'm wondering if this ties in with the thread we had about a month ago in which someone said Mobil 1's new formula wouldn't be 502.00 compliant? http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223137&highlight=mobil+1

Anyone else hear any noise on either of these topics?

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Audi Tech Bulletin 17-06-03 (dated Sept 7, 2006) indicates that M1 0w-40 is still an approved engine oil and continues to meet the strict VW 502.00 standards. I consider this to be "the law" as it was released to supersede Tech Bulletin 17-06-01 from July of this year ...with an updated list of engine oils.

Was Mobil 1 5w-40 always on the list? I think I missed that.

(Not all oils will be available in NA ...)

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0004.File.pdf

·
Registered
113 Posts
It appears from this list that Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 is not an approved oil, but Synpower 5W-30 is approved??? This info is not supported by Valvoline web-site.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have also heard that Mobil One is a group III oil...has been ever since they changed the bottle.

I am switching over to Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I got a new castrol I have never seen before, 5w 40 full synthetic, bottle claims its made for BMW, Audi, VW. After that, I will be going to rotella 5 40.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i can't add anything to this thread, but my brain hurts from reading the thread from BITOG!!

please keep us posted, if you find M1 is junk now...i just finished my Auto-RX and am back on my normal regiment of M1 0w40 and have 6Q left for my next change. i gots to know if i should use it or not.

looks like the GC Gold is still highly regarded? anyone using it/happy with it?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
the problem with that bitog thread is that everyone is speculating and nobody has any proof of anything. it's all theory, conjecture, hearsay, etc and so on and so forth - get my drift? some of the tests (cold pour tests in the freezer) are less than precise. what they really need is for that one guy (tom nj) to show up and run a base oil analysis like he did when confirming that gold german castrol is 100% PAO basestock. otherwise, that thread is pretty worthless (imo).

fyi, GC Gold base oil analysis thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=746495&an=0&page=0#Post746495

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
I am about to order a UOA on new-formula Mobil 1, which I am draining at 7.5 months and a bit under 3k mi / 5k km. I'll report the results here and on BITOG. Having just bought 3 oil changes' worth of Mobil 1 0W-40, I plan to stay with it for the next couple of years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the problem with that bitog thread is that everyone is speculating and nobody has any proof of anything. it's all theory, conjecture, hearsay, etc and so on and so forth - get my drift? some of the tests (cold pour tests in the freezer) are less than precise. what they really need is for that one guy (tom nj) to show up and run a base oil analysis like he did when confirming that gold german castrol is 100% PAO basestock. otherwise, that thread is pretty worthless (imo).

fyi, GC Gold base oil analysis thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=746495&an=0&page=0#Post746495
Amen! I am registered on the BITOG site, but very infrequently post for the reasons you note.

I am not an expert on motor oil, or very few other things for that matter, so I reserve my comments to things that I am qualified to make comment on. Some members on that forum have 3 - 4,000 posts. On motor oil? Time to get a life folks.

Sorry for the rant, but I have always used high quality synthetic motor, from various manufacturers, in my 1.8T and never noticed any difference in performance, gas mileage or any other objective/subjective measurement.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
When I use Group V oils my car actually starts rolling back on the odometer.

(im kidding)
Seriously though, why would Mobil 1 actually move their oils down when they seem to be known for having higher quality stuff?

·
Registered
171 Posts
$$$

I think some people are missing the forest for the trees. Maybe Mobil figured out how to get the same performance/specifications/qualities while using a less expensive base oil. It's called progress. Now, if someone can definitively prove the new formulation is of lower quality, there will be cause for concern.

I will concede it is hypocritical for Exxon/Mobil to sue Castrol for calling Group III based oils "synthetic" and then turn around and do it themselves. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em I guess.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yeah guys, I posted about this issue when I first snagged my B6. I just bought some Pentosynth 5W-40, and found out that my local tuner is starting to carry Elf oils. I even heard that AMSOIL's European Car Formula is coming under some fire as well from Mercedes Benz meeting it's certification.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts