Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil on my 2001.5 B5.5 Vr6 with Mobil 1 10w30 as it was the only synthetic the Advanced Auto had this morning along with a K&N filter (ONLY damn filter they had for the Vr6 period). Now I've noticed an increase in valvetrain noise, lifters, etc. I haven't driven it yet, so I am hoping the ride into work gets it up into the engine better than idle rpms. Any insight???

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,491 Posts
What oil weights did you use before? Are you concerned about excess noise at cold start, at high temperature, or all the time?

Mobil 1 5W-30 BARELY squeaks by as a 30W oil, with a high-temperature viscosity of 10cSt. I doubt the 10W-30 is much better. My cam chain tensioner noise and occasional mild burning oil odor began when I changed from Castrol GTX 5W-30 dino (expressly permitted in my 2001 owner's manual, by the way) to M 1 5W-30, which I have since replaced with M 1 0W-40, which is apparently the only VW-approved Mobil 1 weight. Others have documented that these engines, especially the 1.8Ts, but the V6s as well, tend to be unusually fussy about oil brands and weigfhts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
GoFast_Passat said:
Just changed the oil on my 2001.5 B5.5 Vr6 with Mobil 1 10w30 as it was the only synthetic the Advanced Auto had this morning along with a K&N filter (ONLY damn filter they had for the Vr6 period).
I don't think Passat ever had a VR6 engine, just the 2.8 V6 and what's wrong with the K&N filter?

I have always been using the Mobil1 10W30, and I haven't notice any increasing noise on mine.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I used M1 10W-30 until August when I changed to 0W-40 after the turbo reinstall because of the hubub with sludging, now my mileage has dropped like 2 mpg on the highway because of the increas in viscosity but I have noticed a smoother idle (cold and hot) with smoother power delivery. With 10W-30 I always had a noisier idle, but better mileage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, mistype about the VR6, it is the 30v 2.8. Also, I've not had the best results with K&N oil filters in the past due to their restrictive nature, they can cause valvetrain noise. Hope you didn't think I meant their air filter. I was hurrying when typing the post and tired to boot. On the plus side, I drive 100 miles one way to work and have noticed a definite increase in mileage, so it stays. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts