Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to give black betty her own thread, so I'm re-posting some of my earlier stuff: So, a little about myself. I hail from Calgary, Alberta and have been in the wrenching game for about 15 years now (non professionally except for a 3 month stint at a Diesel shop). Most of my cars have been SAABs however a couple of years back I came into possesion of a 98 passat 1.8T AKA: Black Betty.

Black Betty and I have had a love hate relationship over the years. She's kind of like that one crazy ex girlfriend who took all your money, had weekly meltdowns and made you run all over town for her but damn if she wasn't so sexy you couldn't put her down! Anyway, her previous owner had put off a lot of maintenance so I had to take a crash course in VW wrenching, which is where I came upon this fine forum (PS thanks to all the members who took the time to make posts, they were a major help).

Here are some pics

Here are some of the various build threads, I've done some more I'm sure, but I'm too damn lazy to dig them up, so enjoy!

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...ussion/323219-do-i-smell-60-1-build-pics.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...ll-its-official-im-going-manual-part-2-a.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...discussion/316629-got-my-3-exhaust-built.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...on/313639-mishimoto-fmic-ftw-couple-pics.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...276852-victory-mine-k04-install-complete.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...lack-bettys-slow-descent-into-alcoholism.html

Mods include

Engine
-Block and Head completely torn down and rebuilt by yours truly
-Comp 5556 triplex BB turbo w billet compressor and .63 A/R turbine housing
-Eurodyne Maestro
-B6 S4 MAF housing
-65mm VR6 throttle body
-Port matched, polished and enlarged intake manifold
-630 injectors
-255 Walboro inline fuel pump
-SCAT forged rods
-Rosten valve springs (good to 8500 RPM)
-Osvat Stainless Steel exhaust valves
-Intake port matched head
-Doweled crankshaft sprocket
-TFSI coilpacks
-AEM tru-boost EBC
-AEM wideband
-Westach EGT sensor
-Autometer oil pressure gauge
-Devil's Own DVC-30 W/M injection
-Eurospec Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-TT 710N diverter
-Turbosmart BOV
-3 in CAI intake w K&N filter
-3 in intake piping
-Mishimoto FMIC with 2.75 in piping
-Relocated DV
-Custom equal length tubular exhaust manifold
-Turbonetics Deltagate II external wastegate
-3 in downpipe
-3 in exhaust (both fabbed by yours truly)
-APR snub mount
-Catch can

Transmission
-5 speed conversion
-Fidenza 9lb flywheel
-Spec stage 3+ clutch
-Short shift kit
-Redline lightweight shockproof oil

Suspension,
-FK lowering springs
-KYB sport shocks

Brakes
-TT carrier and A8 rotor (cross drilled) upgrade
-PBR Ultimate Ceramic Pads

Wheels and cosmetics
-18in enkei rims
-FK Badgeless Grille
-Smoked tail and side lights
-TT antenna
-DEPO black projector headlight and clear side markers

Future mods
-Cams
-Limited slip diff
-Who the hell knows

PS: I have a copy of vag-com if anyone in the Calgary area needs it.
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Glad to see another Canadian Passat rising! Welcome to the boards! How long have you had the passat?

She's kind of like that one crazy ex girlfriend who took all your money... but damn if she wasn't so sexy you couldn't put her down!
Don't we all love the challenge? :D It is indeed a love and hate relationship which makes owning one even sweeter!

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Nice Passat, mine is the same color and my interior is leather. I also use to have the same wheels back in 2004. I bought those rims for $58.00 each from a local VW dealer brand new. They were on sale at that time from VW Canada because the B5 was getting old at the time and they wanted to clear out there stock for newer car parts. I sold them a year later to a member on this site that lives in Buffalo, NY. He sold them this year when he sold his car, so I don't know the current owner of them. I miss them though. Last year I bought 4 Adelaid wheels from a local scrap yard for $100 each used and put on 4 used Pirelli tires on them and they are my official daily driver wheels.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had her for 3 years now, but only started modding her 9 months ago. Money issues and a blown tranny kept me at bay until then. As for the rims, I am planning on using them as my winter rims and going to a set of 17-18" ASA-AR1 rims (see below). I would have done it this summer but I found out the shocks were shot so I put in a new set of KYB's and FK lowering springs with the money I had for the wheels. Sooo, next summer......

·
Registered
582 Posts

That's Concept One's front wall/gate.........and that's Keith's or Ian's Porsche.......small, small world.......

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good eye, that was the Concept one show and shine. With regards to the wheel/tire offer thanks, I'll definitely take you up on that. I thought I saw someone mention something about you having something to do with sales/distribution in that area? What was it specifically?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Sweet car and nice work done so far. I've always loved black cars and always wanted to own one until I cleaned my GF black car recently LOL that turned me off of owning one but damn if I don't love them any car in black always looks so much sexier IMO. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, with the demise of my G-pop K04 I've gone bigger and badder. I just picked up Nstabl's old GTRS elim. It's slated to be here on the 27th. Once I get my exhaust mani back from 034, she'll be resurrected. Stay tuned for more details... :driving:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey Mr T
Welcome to PW canada
glad to have you aboard ..
nice ride .
You keep it lookin sharp
I know what you mean about love/hate
there is a lot of hate but there must be a lot of love for the B5 to compensate for so much hate lol. too busy spending on repairs to spend on mods

1 - 13 of 13 Posts