Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread may be something like a follow-up to my MFSW Retrofit novel which may or may not have a nice ending. Whatever.

A couple of weeks ago, while fighting with the i-System module, I could not avoid staring at my door cards which look TERRIBLE. These doors were kinda rebuilt back on 2007 by a guy that replaced the OEM fabric (which was a mess) by some kind of fake leather, in gray. By that time I found it much better than the saggy OEM fabric but only a couple of weeks later it became pretty obvious that he didn't perform a nice job and the fake leather began to "unglue" from the panels. Also, it was very clear that he was not very careful with the details which is something very annoying since that's one of the most visible parts of the car.

PICS:
(driver's door only, the other doors were pretty much the same)

So, browsing on a guy's channel on Youtube, I came accross this leather artist called Jean that posts lots of vídeos about leather updates on several car parts. His work was pretty impressive so I decided to ask him to take care of my door cards and replace their ugly gray fake leather by some real black stuff. A couple of e-Mails later, I mailed him the cards (he lives in São Paulo and I live in Rio de Janeiro) and then eventually I was surprised to see that this job actually became a YouTube vídeo that I'd like to share with if you guys.

A couple of days goes by and then I get this beautiful huge box waiting for me at home. This is what I found inside of it:

Yes, I know. There are some minor scratches on the driver's door panel, consider it a courtesy from BR Postal Office but the overall result was so impressive that I just don't care for these small signs. Actually, I am so impressed with these panels that I simply refuse to reuse my original handles. I am seriously considering a new set of chinese replacements for US$ 30 (OK, I know, but that's the exact kind of car part that does not need to be 100% reliable, I can take my chances with Chinese stuff as long as they just look pretty and don't cost much).

Question is: anyone ever had any experience with these kind of parts? I know his job deserves the best kind of stuff but these handles are no longer available in Brazil nor in 1stVWParts.

Before anyone asks, total cost of this job was around US$ 100 (real leather included).

(to be continued...)

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Un trabajo bien buena. Me gusta mucho.
I was in Mexico back in 2009 and I met a few guys that were just absolute artists when it came to interiors on cars. I wish I could find guys like that up here.

I don't about those Chinese handles though.
How difficult is for you to get stuff shipped from the US? If it doesn't take forever with customs and all that, and if you can afford the stuff, I would try and get it from here.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
I bought a grey d/s door handle from HK. It fit perfectly, but it does not have the soft-touch covering (which I hate anyway). If I ever get around to redoing the interior of my car, I will replace the other 3 handles with the same.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Un trabajo bien buena. Me gusta mucho.
I was in Mexico back in 2009 and I met a few guys that were just absolute artists when it came to interiors on cars. I wish I could find guys like that up here.

I don't about those Chinese handles though.
How difficult is for you to get stuff shipped from the US? If it doesn't take forever with customs and all that, and if you can afford the stuff, I would try and get it from here.
Actually ordering from the US is quite simple for me. I've learned to handle my anxiety very well since I bought this car so I just buy my american stuff, ship to a guy in NJ, pay him and he forwards to me by USPS. Then I try to forget total about it so that one day, out of nowhere, I get a box at home (or customs fee notice, LOL).

The thing is that even on 1stvwParts these handles are no longer available so I can't got OEM on these. I was actually inclined to spend like US$ 70+ only with the handles, placed my order nos 1stVW and then got an e-Mail from them telling me these parts are no longer available even on Germany :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a grey d/s door handle from HK. It fit perfectly, but it does not have the soft-touch covering (which I hate anyway). If I ever get around to redoing the interior of my car, I will replace the other 3 handles with the same.
Now that you mentioned: is there anyway to remove the handles that are already installed without damaging them? I did try with my plastic tools but the handles always get hurt or seriously damaged. :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The handles arrived last week. They all looked pretty decente for the price payed and the soft touch plastic seemed too legit to be true. Considering that I went ahead and gave the guy a nice + feedback. This is the passenger door:

I know, it's too dark. I'll try to get better pictures when I finish the whole car. Now, regarding the rear doors, hoochie mama. Got everything attached, mounted and... SURPRISE! IT DIDNT FIT! The panel looked so projected out of the rest of the door that I looked like I had a bigger problem to handle.

I sure did a lot of swearing that afternoon, was sure that I was doing something wrong untill I had the idea to compare the OEM handle with the chinese one. TA DA! It would NEVER FIT because the part that fits to the door on the chinese handle is much much LONGER than the original. Here is a PIC:

Back to zero. The rear handles simply won't fit. It looks like chinese parts are something like making a deal with the devil. You are sure you took care of all the terms from the deal to avoid headaches but then... BUM! You get screwed somehow.

At this moment I remounted the old ugly handles and I'm looking for a source of new handles around the web. Might give a shot with this AA Rodriguez, when I get them I'll finish this thread.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,882 Posts
that's too strange... i wonder if those were supposed to be for a different vehicle and mixed up?

i know chinese parts are like dealing with the devil, so to speak... but they do put a lot of r&d into their knockoffs.... may be shit in quality but it's a whole lot closer than THAT.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost done!

I've managed to get 3 doors overhauled so far. I'm still in need of the right rear handles to finish the rear right door. PICS or didn't happen!

VitorBart Passat's Door Ovarhauling

Driver Door:

• Door lock module 6X1837013H replaced with complete re-solder of the board solder points;
  • Lock Module Bracket 6Q0837867 replaced;
  • Rotten 6" Speaker replaced by another VW OEM KIT 1S0051416A;
  • Legit black leather coating;
  • Tons of sound absorbing stuff put inside the door between the metal and the plastic panel;
  • Busted puddy light 3B0947415B replaced;
  • Each and every door clip 3B0868243 replaced;
  • Lots of loose wire holders replaced 1J0957818C, everything pretty well hold now, no more bouncing wires!
  • Both speed nuts 357827998 replaced (lost their grip)

More coming next!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VitorBart Passat's Door Ovarhauling

Rear Left Door:

• Door lock module solders rebuilt;
  • Lock Module Bracket 6Q0837867 replaced;
    [*]Rotten 6" Speaker**** replaced by another VW one 1S0051416A;
  • Tons of sound absorbing lean put inside the door between the metal and the plastic panel;
  • New door grabbers + handles set 3B4867179AA94 + 3B4867371A94.
  • New "old stock" interior handle bought on UK eBay 3B0839113BG2AQ
  • Black cover 357971908 replaced (don't ask me why but both rear doors had not this part on them) :confused:

There's some white dust, didn't have the time to clean the whole thing yet.

PROBLEM:

The plastic speaker grill from the rear left door rattles whenever there's bass like there's no tomorrow. I did replace my speaker by another OEM unit (tight fit) and I did use bolts/nuts to fix it to the metal frame instead of pivots. As the previous speaker was busted I can't remember if that rattle was already an issue or if it's just something that began after my intervention. Either way I'm sure that not using pivots to fix the speaker to the metal body is not the cause of the rattle as the speaker itself doesn't shake, only the speaker grill rattles from the outer panel does! I already tried to stick more some foam in there but that just made the whole card rattle instead of only the grill.

I need suggestions! Any one?

Passenger Door:

• Rotten 6" Speaker replaced by another VW one 1S0051416A;
  • Tons of sound absorbing lean put inside the door between the metal and the plastic panel;
  • New door grabbers + handles set 3B0867180AA94 + 3B0867172A94 bought on eBay (Chinese parts, perfect fit though).
  • New interior release handle 3B1837114T2AQ bought at the dealer for REALLY CHEAP! (it's a 20 year old car, some trim parts are sold as "old stock please take it way from my stock")

Three already down! One last to go!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rear Right Door:

• Lock Module Bracket 1J0837868 replaced;
  • Rotten 6" Speaker* replaced by another VW one 1S0051416A;
  • New door grabbers + handles set 3B4867180AA94+ 3B4867372A94 from AA Rodriguez.
  • New "old stock" interior handle bought on UK eBay 1J4839114C

Back to the rattle issue...

Man, that was a NIGHTMARE. I ended up removing the metal frames from both rear doors to retighten the speakers to the metal frame (as I didn't use rivets, I took my chances with stainless bolts + nuts). Those guys were already pretty tight, so I just turned my careless mode on and tightened them even more until the plastic body of the speaker was about to crack. At this exact point I stopped tightening, put the whole thing back together and guess what... NO MORE RATTLE! :thumbup:

I really don't get it. I could swear that the plastic grid from the door panel was the culprit on that, just don't seem to get it how I was mislead such way. Lots of OEM bass now, no rattle at all.

Anyway, this door completes my journey. eBay turned out to be a great source of OEM parts, specially for older cars like ours. Both handles from the rear doors which included new tweeters and new window switches cost me something like 15 euro each which is not bad at all.

Gee, that smell of leather in the morning... Small things like that plus these new trim parts made the car something like10 years younger!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the same crap Chinese parts for the grab handles (black) and they are too long. How did you solve that problem? Or, did you order another set?

I was thinking about just cutting out a section and then gluing them back together.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the same crap Chinese parts for the grab handles (black) and they are too long. How did you solve that problem? Or, did you order another set?

I was thinking about just cutting out a section and then gluing them back together.
I tried to cut a small section of one of the handles and then reglue it but that cylindrical section desintegrated as if it was made o chocolate, the whole thing is pretty weak. :(

Also, that's the part that will handle most of the impacts when people open/close the dooor, having I'm sure that having it glued would be a problem sooner or later. The strangest thing is that the passenger handle went in pretty smooth and was a perfect fit, tough.

Oh! One important thing! Be careful while tightening the handle screws, I realized the hard way that if you over tight the screws, they will overcome the plastic from the handle.

I ordered a new set on AA Rodriguez, they had tons of these available for really good prices (clearence sale).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.