Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2002 GLX with rear end damage. While going over the car I found that the sunroof shade cover was missing. I have one on the parts car that I am going to use to repair this car. Is this an easy swap? TIA

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
whoa.. does that car have a bent frame?

yeah I think you need to fix the car first before you think of the sunshade.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes you can put a new sunshade. It is not difficult. It goes in from the top. You have to remove 4 bolts which hold the glass. There are two plastic strips which hide those bolts horizontaly across the glass from inside. The glass can then be removed from the top. Slide a new sunshade in and you will be done. Should not take more than 30 mins.
BTW how do you plan on fixing this car? Was this car not totalled?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sameero, thanks for the info. I figured it was an easy fix with the right instructions.

Natskiboy, no frame on these cars. They are unibody. And yes, the unibody is bent to heck in the rear. To Volkswagens credit, the crumple zone did its job. The damage stopped just behind the rear door. The roof did not buckle as some cars would do in a wreck this bad.

SurfWagen83 is right. I bought this car from a salvage yard. It is my fourth wrecked Passat that I have bought. One was a parts car and the first two were repaired using parts from that car. In the end after fixing the first two I had the rear of the parts car left so I bought this wreck. It'll be a "rear clip" where the body shop cuts the car in half and welds on the "new" rear end. It's not really that difficult for them. Look at all the long limos out there. In the end, all three of my daughters will have Passats; 1 02 GLS, 1 03, GLS, and 1 02 GLX (the one in the photo.) My son has a salvaged Audi A4 and my wife has a salvaged 02 Audi S4 and I have a salvaged 97 911 Cab. It's a hobby. The only problem is the warranty is gone and the resale is poor. However, if you keep the cars for a long time it works out well in the end. The trick is having a great body shop and two friends that own a salvage yard.

My advise to anyone who will listen is to never by a slvaged car unless you knows its history. A car that was stolen and the seats taken may end up with a salvaged title and one that was cut in half will too. Also, the body shop that does the work is very important.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Kind of reminds me of my car from my accident. My passat was rear ended at 60mph on the interstate and it bent in exactly the same spot. I'm just curious when you stretch out the unibody does it weaken that crumple zone???

As far as the sunshade goes usually they are not an easy install but I'm shocked to see there is something easy to repair on our cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good question JokerPassat. The body shop tells me that they weld both inside and outside the unibody so that when they are done the body will regain the cumple zone. There is no stretching out the cumpled body. They cut the back part of the car off so that the damaged area is gone and a new rear end is welded on. That's why it is so important to have a good body shop.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Just to add to the explanation of the removal process...

I found that if I tilted the sunroof first, you can get better access to the bolts. The bolts are hidden by two plastic pieces (on each side). Remove those and you'll see 6 (not 4) torx screws. Undo those and you can then lift out the sunroof. The shade is held in by 4 metal retainers. Unscrew the 2 retainers on each side, then slide the retainers towards the back of the car. Finally, just slide the shade out towards the front of the car and lift it out.

Just reverse it to put one in.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You allow your kids and ok whole family drive these things :shock: Also reminds me of an old friend who kept buying cars of the same to try and make 1 good one. All the time and money wasted he could have bought a new one :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.