Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi this is my first post after buying my first passat (i've had 3 polos and a golf gt-tdi). its a 2003 1.8t auto triptronic.

but i bought the car with the engine management light on. thinking that it just might need something small, i bought it quickly without checking it.

After driving it a couple days ive noticed that the car has a strange shake to it while its running. it doesn't seem smooth at all. Also when i put the car into drive there is quite a big jump, and the car shakes. (it goes into reverse fine without any problems) and while driving it doesn't jerk when changing up gears but it sometimes does it when shifting down.

I went to the mechanic the other day to diagnose the problem and 5 faults came up which included misfiring in the cylinders (1,3 and 4) these were reset but the one fault which remained was this one:

16486 - p 0102 MASS AIR SPORADIC
FLOW CIRCUIT -07
0:low input

So i need your help guys. Do i need to change the sensor, it doesn't seem to be a tough job from the looks of it. i called VW and the sensor is $235 CAD + Taxes) but i was wondering if that might not be the problem and would be pointless of changing it, if thats not the fault.

any guesses?
also will it solve my transmission problem?

thanks alot!

· Registered
953 Posts
My Passat is older and has a 5-speed, but it was doing almost the same thing, codes and all, and I changed the MAF sensor. It's run perfectly ever since. Can't say for sure that's it, but it sounds pretty familiar to me.

· Moderate Moderator
16,440 Posts
You could try disconnecting the MAF to see if the engine runs better. If it does, that helps confirm the MAF is bad.

Check the wires and connectors to be sure the MAF is getting a good electrical connection to the ECM.

You could also try cleaning the MAF sensor. Search around for the procedure. Use an appropriate MAF cleaning solution.

· Registered
885 Posts
You could try disconnecting the MAF to see if the engine runs better. If it does, that helps confirm the MAF is bad.

Yes and no...by unplugging the maf the car goes into a default mode where it runs rich. Now on mafs that are completely toast to the point of the car not wanting to even idle unplugging it may be an ok technique to go about testing it. However if you take a car that is running a little lean for a reason other than the maf sensor and then disconnect the maf sensor the car is going to run rich by default and mask the original sympton, being that it now runs better...for a while...you think I must have a bad maf...now you go out and waste money on a part that is not needed and you can't return.

· Registered
49 Posts
I think I may be having this same problem but I am also missing my "Snorkel" piece that connects to the filter box and then onto the back of the grill. This could be my problem so it is not sucking hot engine air or getting any air turbulence (sp.) .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.