Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for starts I have an 01 v6 2.8 b5.5, stick shift, 93,000 miles...
for awhile now my car has been running rough. when accelerating it would sputter (dont know how else to explain) as if it was almost going to die.
i had a family member with a universal check engine cable, did the test and it shows my 02 sensor. i replaced it, but still had the same prob. i ran some fuel injector cleaner. and then we changed the spark plugs. after the new spark plugs, car ran great for about a week, and same prob came back. we put a new fuel filter, & new air filter on. still same prob. tired of spending money on parts so i decided to take it to a foreign car repair shop, and they told me it was the coil pack. i got my car back, ordered the new oem coil pack & a generic vagcom cable. put the new coil pack in, still have the prob.. only thing that vagcom said was an o2sensor & random multiple cylinder misfire.. not the same o2 we just replaced, but one i replaced a year ago. so yeah, both front o2 sensors have been replaced, but yet i get an occassional cel for the o2. we checked the plug wires, and all were getting spark. we decided to change the plugs, AGAIN. prob fixed. almost a week since putting in new plugs, and once again, car is running rough. i started my car today & it was shaking real bad, next thing u know the cel came on flashing. i turned the car off. hooked up the cable & these are the codes i got
3 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-00 - -
16690 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0306 - 35-00 - -

can SOMEONE, ANYONE..... please help me. im aggrevated & not to mention broke. i definitely do not have $$ to take my car to the dealer.
what is wrong with my dag-on car???

tia

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are u asking if the cel comes on all the time? if so then yeah.
i do more city driving than anything, but if i get on the highway, sure 'nuff, the engine light comes on. but after a few trips here & there, it goes off by it's self.
i just recently got the generic vagcom cable so i never used to check the codes often.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The sputtering and coughing under acceleration, does that happen all the time?

Or, does it happen after you've run the car awhile, shut it off briefly (such as to fill up on gas) and then restart it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh sorry, the sputtering was happening all the time. cold car, warm car, didnt matter, all the time. at the moment the car is not sputtering. it was running great since last week when my cousin put the new spark plugs in. this morning is when i started the car, and i was going to let it warm up (its cold here in ohio right now) and the car was shaking so bad. never felt it shake that bad when idling. then the cel was flashing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even tho i got a new coil pack, do u think it could be bad? how do u test a coil pack?
i'm a girl who doesnt know a whole lot, and im not afraid to get my hands dirty, but im just not educated when it comes to working on cars.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I was hunting after a coolant temp sensor failure. When that starts to go it will mess with the timing and produce the symptoms you have. But, that usually happens with a warm engine and a restart, not sure if that would be the case here, possible still I guess. It pops a CEL but I don't remember if it's specific to the fault or if the CEL is for a symptom of the fault, such as misfire...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm now that u mention it, after driving my car for a lil while, my coolant in the resi does boil/bubble. as i said im not car educated, but is that normal? i was concerned about it the first time i noticed it, which was within the past couple months, but nobody else has ever told me its a prob

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pulled some spark plugs today and they have gas on them. and when i started the car u can smell gas really bad..
any ideas? anyone please??

·
Registered
969 Posts
You probably have clogged injectors. I have the same problem right now. Random misfires when idling and also on full throttle. I have used 3 bottles of techron so far and it is a little better. I will be buying some more techron soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same problem and I am certain my solution will be the same as yours. You will need to replace number 6 ignition coil pack as well and your ignition control module located on the top of the airbox AKA power output stage. But just to make sure I would test your ICM with a digital meter you need to be in the 2.5 OHM range if any thing comes up open like 0 Ohm's then you know you need to replace your ICM don't worry the ICM is labeled with 123456 for each cylinder. Hope this helps:thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my coil pack is the whole things with the 3 coil packs intact..

can someone show me a picture of the icm???? please & thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
even tho i got a new coil pack, do u think it could be bad? how do u test a coil pack?
You can measure the resistance across the coil i.e. put one lead in the tower at each end of the coil, with an ohmmeter. You should get between 8 and 14 k ohms.
my cousin checked each plug wire w/ the screwdriver method. all wires were good
Check the plug wire resistance also. They should be between 4 and 6 k ohms.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,745 Posts
my coil pack is the whole things with the 3 coil packs intact..

can someone show me a picture of the icm???? please & thanks

Only 98-99 1.8Ts have an ICM. NO v6 ever has, fyi.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,745 Posts
I have the same problem and I am certain my solution will be the same as yours. You will need to replace number 6 ignition coil pack as well and your ignition control module located on the top of the airbox AKA power output stage. But just to make sure I would test your ICM with a digital meter you need to be in the 2.5 OHM range if any thing comes up open like 0 Ohm's then you know you need to replace your ICM don't worry the ICM is labeled with 123456 for each cylinder. Hope this helps:thumbup:
V6's do not have a #6 coil pack or an ICM. They have one coil per 2 cylinders, 3 total. I know you were trying to help, but please read up before you give advice on an engine that you don't own.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts