Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm at wits end with this 20V AWM. Several weeks ago I noticed a misfire at a cold start, it would clear up after 30 sec or so. The longer the engine has been shut off the worse it is. If the engine has been off for 2 or 3 hours, no problem but 5 hours a little mis and over night the full 30 sec or so and I count ~400 misses during this period. When it clears up after a short time there is no more missing at all.

Using Vag Com I noticed the missing was only on Cylinder #2 so thought great, it should be easy to diagnose. I switched the coil pack with Cylinder #1, the problem didn't follow. I switched spark plugs with cylinder #1, the problem didn't follow. I replaced the MAF, the problem didn't clear. The readings from the MAF and the MAP seem to be correct. I also used a can of Lubro Moly injector cleaner as I thought the injector might be sticking but no help.

One thing I noticed when I swapped the plugs was that #2 plug was very clean (like new). If there was coolant intrusion to the cylinder would it clean the plug? If coolant was getting into the cylinder could it happen only when the engine is cold and then seal when there is a little bit of heat present?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Could be the ignition control module, ICM
read http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228155
#2 cyl failue was a symptom of bad ICM on early production, would be atypical of the AWM.
He doesn't have an ICM.

It seems you're saying there's only one fault code. Cylinder 2 misfire. No coolant temp sensor code? Using vagcom, go into the intrument cluster group and check for fault codes there too.

·
Registered
26,300 Posts
Swap #2 injector with another and see if the misfiring cylinder follows the injector.
Leaking injector is probable. If the misfires stays with Cylinder 2, a leakdown test would be a good idea. That clean plug and cold misfire are also symptoms of early headgasket failure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Head gasket

Well, it looks as though the head gasket is failing. I have noticed the engine using coolant. During the time it misfires (cold, 30 sec) the exhaust blows white smoke and sure smells like coolant. I've just put 2 liters in the recovery tank. Also I've noticed a crackling sound from the dash during acelleration, mabey exhaust gases in the coolant?

I pulled #2 plug after cranking it over when it was cold, there was what appeared to be coolant on it smelling it I couldn't tell if it was coolant or gas so I tried to light it but it did not burn.

I've found a gasket kit at autoparts warehouse, it's made by Reinz (OEM) can anyone tell me if it's any good or is there a better place to get it from? Any suggestions would be welcome at this point.

·
Registered
26,300 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My Taurus lasted about a week until the head gasket let loose completely. Same symptoms as you had, runs rough only when cold, coolant loss. Ford checked it and said it was ok, a week later they were replacing the engine (under an extended recall warranty) as the coolant got in the oil and the bearings burned up.

I would stop driving the car until it is fixed. The risk of internal damage is not worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Head gasket

Well, it looks as though the head gasket is failing. I have noticed the engine using coolant. During the time it misfires (cold, 30 sec) the exhaust blows white smoke and sure smells like coolant. I've just put 2 liters in the recovery tank. Also I've noticed a crackling sound from the dash during acelleration, mabey exhaust gases in the coolant?

I pulled #2 plug after cranking it over when it was cold, there was what appeared to be coolant on it smelling it I couldn't tell if it was coolant or gas so I tried to light it but it did not burn.

I've found a gasket kit at autoparts warehouse, it's made by Reinz (OEM) can anyone tell me if it's any good or is there a better place to get it from? Any suggestions would be welcome at this point.
Not sure if this is still alive but do you know what was the problem for your car or what the fix was because I am experiencing the same symptoms and problems with my passat. Ive replaced the head gasket myself and the problem is still there. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not sure if this is still alive but do you know what was the problem for your car or what the fix was because I am experiencing the same symptoms and problems with my passat. Ive replaced the head gasket myself and the problem is still there. Thanks.
on my adopted 02 2.8l glx 4mo wagon, I did all the wires, the gaskets, the plugs (all three of these needed to be done anyways) I still had a misfire (now only #2, instead of everywhere). replaced coil pack, and life was good.

Have you done the other tests to rule out the plug and the wire?
Also make sure your PCV system is fully working and clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
on my adopted 02 2.8l glx 4mo wagon, I did all the wires, the gaskets, the plugs (all three of these needed to be done anyways) I still had a misfire (now only #2, instead of everywhere). replaced coil pack, and life was good.

Have you done the other tests to rule out the plug and the wire?
Also make sure your PCV system is fully working and clean.
I have replaced the coils and the plugs and all of it is OEM VW parts and it is still having a problem with the misfire startup but I will check the pcv system and make sure it is clean. Thanks. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
26,300 Posts
The original poster had a cracked head (searched his posts).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts