Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new wagon has been running fabulously in the, what 10 days I've had it.
Today, in normal sedate driving I get a flashing CEL, and excessive stumbling.
limp home, hook the vag-com and see both a general misfire and a misfire on cyl 2.
Swap coil packs around, then within the next few scans I get successive codes for cyl 3..then 4...then 1.
Finally I end up with all 5 codes, all 4 cylinders misfiring and a general misfire.
16684 16686 16687 16688 16685
Check plugs, they look fine, new NGKs from a week ago as is air filter.
Pull MAF and spray with cleaner (this has worked in the past for random CELs).
Poked and prodded every hose I could tonight trying to find any leaks, everything looks solid.
Any suggestions appreciated, I can tell the cat is unhappy by the smell.
More importantly, How long can I drive it like this before expensive things start destructing. I don't have a second car.
FYI it's a 1.8t 03 68k

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
The AEB has an independant ICM. After that, they incorporated that function/part into the individual coilpacks themselvs. If you feel like throwing parts at it, a set of four new coilpacks would be the thing to try.

You may also want to try running it with the MAF disconnected. If it runs better without the MAF, you've got a problem with the MAF.

Also search for vacuum leaks. Build a boost tester to help find any hidden leaks (google it).

Vag the fuel trims to see where they are at. They may indicate a vacuum leak. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I am an idiot.
I wasn't clearing the codes when I was swapping coil packs around yesterday, so that's why it was following the cylinders.
It looks like I have isolated it to a single one at this point.
A few q's
Anyone in Austin have a coil pack?
Since I guess I will be shopping tomorrow, is this dealer only or can I get it elsewhere?
And I thought I read about a possible recall on these?

Thanks for the suggestions, no Steve, not the MAF.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Ok, I am an idiot.
I wasn't clearing the codes when I was swapping coil packs around yesterday, so that's why it was following the cylinders.
HEY! Sunday is MY day to be the idiot! Get your own day! :mad:

Call around to the various auto parts stores. Someone will have them. Do some research to see which is the best make and revision to get.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:thumbup:

To Steve

Technically I was an idiot on Saturday, so you're welcome to keep Sunday. haha

Actually managed to find a coil pack at the closest Autozone of all places. 35 bux.

Completely back to normal, just like that.

Should I stick with this fine Chinese replacement or go ahead and replace the lot with something better?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Should I stick with this fine Chinese replacement or go ahead and replace the lot with something better?
It depends... Do you love your Passat like you love that one girl you used to date who caused you to spend all of your money?:rolleyes:

In a perfect world, you could do some research to see which is the best make and revision to use in your car and slap in a set of four new ones (keeping one or two of the still good old ones in the trunk for emergencies). [Yes honey, I know you're hungry. Let me take you out for lobster.]:bowdown:

In a more practical world, what you have installed now is working. With luck they will just keep on working. [You're hungry again? Heres a coupon for Burger King. As long as you're going, pick me up a large fry.];)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It depends... Do you love your Passat like you love that one girl you used to date who caused you to spend all of your money?:rolleyes:

Um, if you are here then you have to answer yes to this one.

I am sure I could have 2 bulletproof Hondas for what I have spent on Passats, but I don't regret anything.

In a perfect world, you could do some research to see which is the best make and revision to use in your car and slap in a set of four new ones (keeping one or two of the still good old ones in the trunk for emergencies). [Yes honey, I know you're hungry. Let me take you out for lobster.]:bowdown:

In a more practical world, what you have installed now is working. With luck they will just keep on working. [You're hungry again? Heres a coupon for Burger King. As long as you're going, pick me up a large fry.];)

Hah, I'll do some research.

Last I checked, electrons don't have a nationality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts