Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry folks - tried the search, but could not find any write up on how to replace the side mirrors. Need to purchase replacement mirrors due to elements being burnt out.

Can someone please point me in the right direction should a write up be available

thanks

Bill

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You pull the mirror out of the mirror housing; there are 3 clips at the back with sticky stuff on it, and 2 wires for the heated mirror feature. It's impossible to break anything since you wouldnt need the old one. you don't need too much force to undo the mirrors . good luck :thumbup:

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
push the mirror all the way out away from the car, then pull from the inside part out.should release real easy.then unplug and reinstall new one by just pushing it into the holder.

may i suggest aspherical blue ones.they are really great.no more blind spots.

·
Registered
518 Posts
when i did a vag-com scan it told me that my heating elements were not working on my mirrors either -- do i hafta replace the whole mirror, or is it possible it could just be a fuse?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It could be the fuse, though I don't know which number.
Usually the element gets burned out because the switch gets left in the center position, which is the heated position.
I always leave my switch in the "right" adjust position, so I don't have that problem, plus the right mirror tilts down when you are in reverse (helps keep you from curbing those rims!)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have given more details. I have a 1999 1.8T / 5 speed. Yep, have the stubby passenger mirror, so it appears that the blue mirror replacements are out.

Called the local dealer - and they want $44.00 cdn for each mirror. That ends up being more than the blue ones from Dub stop.

Did some searches on the net - but did not come up with any places to get just the replacement mirror - just the whole assembly.

Does anyone know where we can pick up some cheaper replacement stock mirrors - the dealer price seems to be a bit unrealistic.

Are there any Canadian options ??

Thanks for the feedback

Bill

·
Registered
64 Posts
I checked with PG Performance here in BC and they are more expensive than the dealer. I bought Aspheric mirrors from Rus at Dubstop and had no trouble getting them shipped to Canada. I thought I read somewhere that Dubstop carries the stubby glass but it's not Aspheric. Maybe drop him an email and see if he has them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts