Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2003 GLS 1.8T from a dealer near my home in Toronto. I love the car! I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what the gas mileage should be like on a Passat like this. Right now I seem to be getting about 500km/tank. Is this good? My driving style isn't one that would burn a lot of extra fuel. It came certified pre-owned from the dealer and seems to be in great condition.
Also, I didn't notice it when I test drove the car, but it looks like the middle headrest in the back seat is missing. Was this an optional thing or should I go to the dealer and ask them what's up?
Thanks,
1.8T-Toronto:confused:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
On all US models pass 01.5 trhere were 3 headrests in back. Can't imagine canada would be different.
As for milage, I have no clue, but it should beat the 6 that I have at 17-20/25-28 (depending on gas).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought an '03 last year and I usually go much further on a tank—usually over 400 miles/600+ kilometers (if my miles/km conversion is right). My first thought is to monitor it through at least a proper (synthetic) oil change and a few tanks of premium fuel. I have a 5-speed and found that I did drive a little hard at first (bought the Passat after several years w/a Honda Civic), and this really does show in my per tank range.

I'm not as tech-oriented as many others on this board, so this is all I can offer. If you're new to this forum I can let you know that there really is a wealth of info here.

Good luck w/everything.

Oh, I think you probably are missing a headrest.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I bought an '03 last year and I usually go much further on a tank—usually over 400 miles/600+ kilometers (if my miles/km conversion is right). My first thought is to monitor it through at least a proper (synthetic) oil change and a few tanks of premium fuel.
Ignore what he said in that last part about a few tanks of premium fuel. Always run what VW tells you to run (91+) and you'll get better gas mileage and get the best performance for your money. If you run anything less then 91 and you'll actually get worse performace per tank.

As for MPG, I get about 23MPG overall with my 04 1.8T. Recently it has increased as the weather has cooled off to closer to 25MPG overall and I get about 350 miles per tank. I do mostly highway driving (80 miles per day) with the AC at setting 1 or 2 on recirculate. I do drive it pretty hard and can hear a lot of turbo booting going on, which will eat up gas.

You might try running some Techron fuel system cleaner through on a regular basis. Please don't use regular gas, you may save a little bit at the pump but your MPG will suffer, your engine will muck up quicker because of the absence of the cleaners and you wont get the power you should because your ECU will adjust for the lower octaine.

I run BP 92 or QuikTrip 91 all the time. It may hurt a little each time but it sure beats the cost of a mucked up fuel system or engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ignore what he said in that last part about a few tanks of premium fuel. Always run what VW tells you to run (91+) and you'll get better gas mileage and get the best performance for your money. If you run anything less then 91 and you'll actually get worse performace per tank.
Maybe I wasn't clear.

I meant run a few tanks of premium in case the previous owner (or the poster) hadn't been. I guess I should have added, "...and continue to use premium."

Another question might be what effect non-premium fuel would have had by now if the previous owner didn't use it.

I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I got in the habbit of using BP gas for all of my vehicles (started back when it was Amoco).

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I would measure consumption and not range.
That depends on whether he's going to be driving around town or going on long trips.

I got 36.5mpg once, following a U-Haul van from New York to Virginia. Normally I get about 31mpg on the highway and 18mpg in local traffic. The car has a nice clean body that doesn't drag on the air much, but there isn't much you can do about how heavy the car is.

That said, I recently repaired a major break in my PCV system which has been present for God-knows-how-long, so my local-traffic mileage may have improved a bit since I last checked it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There is quite a bit of complaining about gas mileage on the Passat around here so beware. You can only know by experience depending on a great deal of factors what you should expect. One other factor is when the idiot light comes on and apparently that varies by either car or model years. I get a grand total of 260 miles a tank at roughly 22.5-23.5 mpg requiring 12 gallons. That's roughly 410 km per tank. If you get lots of freeway miles you may get a lot more miles. I can get 420 mpg at roughly 34-36 mpg at 70 on the freeway. Driving style, weather, tire/wheel selection, gas, city/highway all impact your eventual outcome. I've driven for 3 years at around 22.5-23.5 mpg. That's just my real world experience.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Heh...I wonder for how many people the root cause of their poor gas mileage is all the mods they've done to their engine. The extra HP has to come from somewhere, ya know?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Funny that you say that. I have a Wett Chip. I've actually seen an improvement from my stock to chipped state. Some people see the opposite. I used to get around 22.5 steady now it's more like 23 or 23.5. I have a theory and it is this. As my 1.8T has a turbo, the chip just will allow the car from releasing excess boost at 7.25 psi (stock) but hold it until 14-16 psi. Since the exhaust was already created, this is already pretty much free economy. Hence I still gain the excess boost to be used to make my car travel farther on the same amount per unit of gasoline used. Thus it is more efficient to have a chipped car than not. From my real world experience, I get better mixed mileage, but worse steady state freeway mileage. Mixed is 22.5 to 23.5 (stock to chipped), but 36 to 34 (stock to chipped) on the freeway.

The problem that most people that get the chip start enjoying the power and that means having a lead foot which equals poorer fuel economy. =)

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
That's the wonder of owning a turbo 4cyl. At WOT the turbo sucks the gas back (the more boost, the more gas). Drive it normal, and you get the economy of a 4cyl...

And he can drive that TDI as hard as he wants and get 50+mpg. The wonder of a Diesel...but then driving it hard doesn't really do much for you. ;)

I was really worried about the car's weight, and coming from an '88 Tercel EZ I tend to play with it a little (not as much as most of you, though). I did a few highway runs with it and measured ~35mpg US. So when I did my first metered run in city traffic (although Halifax is a small city) I was shocked when it came back ~27mpg US. The farthest down I've driven it is ~1/4 of a tank left by the gauge, and it was reading 540kms. From a 1.8t 5 speed I'd say that's not too shabby.

In comparison, my father gets ~25mpg US with his brand new Sonata 4cyl automatic...and that's easy country/city combined driving.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Having recently purchased a 2000 V6 Variant I was kind of surprised to find it only gets around 20 city mpg. I thought it would get better mileage than my Mazda minivan but hey at least it's a whole lot more fun to drive. I would probably get better mileage if I drove a bit more sedately but after years of driving breadboxes it's nice to drive something with a 5 speed and decent handling. Burning a little more gas is a small price to pay to actually enjoy driving again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts