Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Last Friday I actually went to the offices of Mikado Technology to buy one of their garage door openers. They are just a small mom and pop shop operating out of an industrial office park in South SF (near Comp USA).
1-888-9-mikado

Skotaku tried to organize a group buy earlier, at this link:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65227

I mentioned how on clubb5 there are many members would would be interested in a group buy on their products, and they gave me a 20% discount and said that anyone who calls should ask for Sammy or Carminny (didn't catch the name right, but I think is the owner and his wife) and they will get 20% off. They didn't have any terms like offer only good for a certain time, or wanting to do one big shipment, etc. They just said call and get 20% off. Best thing is that they do take credit cards, making payment easy.

If you are in the Bay Area, you can go pick up the product and save on shipping, but they will charge CA tax. Those of you out of state maybe don't have to pay tax, but will need to cover shipping. Those of you in the rest of Cali kind of get the worst deal, but such is the nature of tax and shipping.

If any of you have any ideas on how we can try and get an even better discount, or save on tax and shipping, I'd like to hear them.

-Kip

ps - Install was very easy, and it looks nice. The instructions come attached to the unit, and you can just leave them attached as they won't be seen inside the dash. Chain may rattle a bit though.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
This is seriously cool! I was thinking about trying to put in a homelink visor so that I could lose the clunky remote but since I have so many empty bezels on my console/dash - no heated seats :( - this may be just the thing for me!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info Kipernicus! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Was gonna give up on the Skotaku Group buy and came accross this. This forum Rocks! :thumbup: :bow: :bow: :D :b5:

Just called and got myself the regular (non-rolling code) remote.
List was $59.95 but got it for $47.96 after discount plus shipping to Maryland for $7.00. ($54.96 total).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
They gave up on me... I brought them the buyers and they left me hanging.

However, they've still got the openers I want so I appreciate Copernikus' posting the discount. ;)

- Sko :lol:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I had set up a GB about 2 years ago with them... Sammy's a tough person to get ahold of, and doesn't return calls. Between here and the 'tex we had about 42 participants.

Hopefully Sammy remembers the discount after a couple of months :)

The unit works great, runs in parallel to your current controler (so your other remotes still work just fine), and is nearly perfectly integrated (the molded texture of the bezel is off just a touch).

·
Registered
487 Posts
I stopped buy after work too, they programmed the controller and I just used the screwdriver from my Leatherman to pop out the blank and the opener was installedinacouple of seconds. There's not a lot of space for the Sears lump I used to use, I'd be lost without this unit.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Dammit, I wish I'd seen this earlier! I just bought a "Clicker" from Home Depot - that's $22 I could've put toward this...

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
I bought 2 of these from them a while ago with this 20% off, they were great to deal with they had listed my garage door as a non-rolling code, but when i got it, it didnt work. They said send it back and the sent me a rolling code system for no extra charge. I have one in my B5.5 and i got my sister one for her NB and they both work great. The only complaint i would have is the range, sometimes you have to be really close to get the door to open, but other then that they are perfect :thumbup:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Kipernicus said:
Yes, mine is a 99 B5 and it fit perfectly in the lower right blank panel.
Do they make one that fits in the lower left blank :???:

·
Registered
435 Posts
selurffoeg said:
GonnaBe1 said:
Kipernicus said:
Yes, mine is a 99 B5 and it fit perfectly in the lower right blank panel.
Do they make one that fits in the lower left blank :???:

i 2nd that one- i have my proclip in the lower right.... i suppose i should actually call them..... :roll:
I already called them. No application for the left side blank. No plans for one either :sad:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I had mine for a while now - got it from Sammy for $65 [shipping including] over three years ago. Still on the same battery. No problems with this unit, would recommend it again in a heartbeat.

A pic for those who might not know what it looks like installed in my '98:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
20 Participants
2KT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing