Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I'm looking to do a few small things to my 04 passat. One of the things I'm thinking of doing is a boost gauge. When it comes to installing the boost gauge how challenging is it? Are there any cons to using a boost gauge? Also I'm not looking to chip my car but I'm going to reset my tranny so it shifts to my driving style not my mom (my passat was given to me by my mom). Since I'm not chipping my car is it still good to have a boost gauge installed. Also I found these two boost gauge kits online. Think they are any good?
NewSouth Performance
Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD 1.8T - B5PASSWPWVDOBGK - Boost Gauge With Steering Wheel Pod Kit - ES#3234

In the first link the boost gauge kit for my car is the one at the bottom.

· Moderator/Administrator
26,029 Posts
I bought my kit with vdo gauge and blue led directly from NSP. 8 years later going strong. Easy to hook up. There should be a write up around here somewhere....

No cons except some people say it blocks the clock, but it doesn't bother me. Big deal. Just tilt your head to the side. Besides, my aftermarket radio has a clock.

· I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,167 Posts
Boost gauge can provide important information. It's excellent for diagnosing any boost issues, and assuming the gauge you get reads vac too, it can help with diagnosing vac leaks. And even if you have no vac leaks, it will also give you an idea of the overall health of your motor (worn rings and valves will produce less vacuum).

26,029 Posts
VDO is an oem supplier, so yes. The NSP gauge is good too.

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I install the gauge do I splice into the FPR line. Also I'm going to use the steering column pod. Will I have to drill any holes into the column to feed the wires and vaccum tubing through so it all looks discreate?

EDIT: Also how much vaccum shold my car have at idle if it's stock along wiith how much boost should I peak at stock just so I know for after I install the gauge and to a test drive.

· Registered
153 Posts
When I install the gauge do I splice into the FPR line. Also I'm going to use the steering column pod. Will I have to drill any holes into the column to feed the wires and vaccum tubing through so it all looks discreate?

EDIT: Also how much vaccum shold my car have at idle if it's stock along wiith how much boost should I peak at stock just so I know for after I install the gauge and to a test drive.
I cut my fpr vac line in two and stuck a t piece in there and ran the vac line through the ecu box. you shouldnt have to drill any holes. my car sits around -20 hg at idle, i believe stock boost is 8-11 psi.

· Registered
153 Posts
Where do you wire the LED into? The installation instructions are so vague. They tell you to wire it into the dimmer switch and to ground. I just want to make sure I put them in the right places.
One wire goes into the 12v power of the headlights harness, one goes to the 75x terminal so the power is switched and IF your gauge has a dimming function one wire goes into the back of the dimmer wheel harness. ( i dont exactly remember which one, do some experimenting)

26,029 Posts
One wire goes into the 12v power of the headlights harness, one goes to the 75x terminal so the power is switched and IF your gauge has a dimming function one wire goes into the back of the dimmer wheel harness. ( i dont exactly remember which one, do some experimenting)
There are only 2 wires on the gauge, iirc. It's an LED. One side to ground, the other to the dimmer switch. Using a multimeter, find the wire on the back of the dimmer that changes in voltage when you adjust the intensity. That's the one you tap.

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I installed my gauge a week or so ago. The gauge I got was a new south performance indego gauge. It is a triple led gauge so the whole gauge is lite perfectly. There are 2 wires coming from the back of the gauge, a black and a red wire. I spliced the red wire into the dimmer switch so I can adjust the lighting of it along with my instrument cluster. The black wire I just grounded to the chassis. When I installed the gauge into the column pod it was too tight (giggty) for the gauge to fit in, I ended up having to shave some of the plastic away so the gauge would fit. Didn't have to use the bracket or rubberband to help hold it in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.